Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight loss and breastfeeding page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

weight loss and breastfeeding

So, I've been monitoring my macro intake for a few days now. I had started only to see where I was, but it was so easy to keep my carbs relatively low that I kept my goal around 100g just as a trial (that's total carbs, not net. most of it comes from coconut flakes). Now I'm thinking about going lower, but I'm concerned about nursing and ketosis. First, no amount of weight loss or body appearance is worth a dwindling milk supply. And second, if my body is shedding ketones, will they end up in my milk? What effect would that have on the wee one? He's only 4 months old, and will likely nurse to 3ish, so while waiting is always an option I'd rather avoid it.

Sort of secondary question: Does anyone here who cares for small children actually find time for the fitness aspect of PB? I've been on the forums quite a bit lately, but that's usually only while I'm nursing (like now). Other than that, my days are filled with caring for the kids. When do you find time (or energy)??

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Oh, how well I remember those days...

I actually think scientific studies focusing on women and evolutionary science are lacking. Mainstream medicine has only recently begun to study women as something other than smaller men! (ie, as in the Nurses' Health Study).

I'm sorry, I don't know any studies about ketosis and breastfeeding, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion.... FWIW, I'm a physician, a former obstetric nurse and a many-year LaLeche League member and almost leader.

Here's my 2 cents:

Don't focus on weight loss now. I wouldn't even be tracking now...........practice listening to your body and eating when hungry. I wouldn't try to be in ketosis, and I wouldn't stuff carbs, either. I would stay grain-free, but eat sweet potatoes, winter squash and fruit as my body asked for.

As for exercise? The only reasonable exercise for a nursing mom who is still getting up at night and feels tired is walking with your baby in a sling! I'm sure our ancestral Grokkette didn't do much more than that-----although she probably walked many more miles than we might, and she might also be carrying a skinful of foraged nuts or roots. Or perhaps an infant in a sling and a toddler on the hip!

In our modern world, with the lack of a tribe of other mothers/aunties/grandmothers to help for an infant, REST is so overlooked!

Blessings of health and peace for you and your young family.
    PWG

Thanks.
    I completely bombed today. I ate a bit of watermelon (locally grown, organic heirloom variety) and a bunch of rice. I'm not too worried about the melon- I only eat these local and in-season, so it's something I look forward to for the entire year. But the rice? Tsk tsk tsk... I LURVE rice loaded with butter.

I like to keep track, it's comforting. And on the days when I don't feel like it (or just don't have the time), I skip that part. Though, I'm considering keeping track of only the carbs that come from fruit, (cheat rice), chocolate, etc. and none that come from smoked oysters, veggies, etc.

One issue that I face is that I usually ignore my hunger cues. For example, I ate nothing today before 5ish pm except a can of smoked oysters and a few cups of coffee (with a little sugar and a lot of 1/2&1/2). This is probably why I binged later on rice. Some days, I end up eating tons of sweet stuff because I'm actually thirsty. It's AMAZING that I've only gained 15ish LBs in the 7 years I have been raising small children! I do miss sweet potatoes, so I'll probably incorporate those back into my diet.

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    I think sweet potatoes with loads of butter are great for nursing/milk production. What I do with a small baby is hike. I put the baby in a sling or wrap type sling carrier and hike. It made a difference meeting with friends whose babies were similar ages and we hiked together and then got together for lunch at one of our homes. Paleo meals were served (a few of the mom's were paleo including myself). It was great, led to slow weight loss which is what I want in the first year. I find that by year 2 I lose more weight and since I nurse a long time the weight has never been an issue coming off.
    By 15-18 months the baby goes into a bike trailer and I bike . As they get older (age 3) I can then find more time for myself and incorporate my old workout regime. I also took prenatal and postnatal yoga (where we bring the babies along) and that's another idea. But really for weight loss, I found slinging baby while hiking is fantastic and I never needed to stop to nurse since I've always nursed on the go in a sling.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    ketosis doesn't appear to be problematic from a nursing perspective. I don't have time to look up the info but it shouldn't be hard to find.

I read a bunch about it several months ago and I came across nothing concerning. Not even remotely so.

Now I will say that getting 'most' of your 100g of carbs per day from coconut flakes is a little concerning to me unless you're sure to get 'enough' dark/bright veggies as well?

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

My bag of coconut flakes says that there are 4g of carbs per tablespoon. So, in 1/2 c of coconut flakes there are 32g carb (if I don't exclude fiber), compared to 3.5g carbs in 1/2 c swiss chard. I think one of those days I miscalculated my carbs and recorded 64g carb from coconut flakes instead of 32g. Sometimes I eat coconut flakes when I'm craving something junky, like ice cream or white chocolate. Why does it concern you? I thought coconut was one of those "green-light" foods. I do eat greens, but admittedly I could eat more (don't know why I don't get enough, I LOVE spinach sauteed in butter).
    Last edited by Saoirse; 09-18-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Aegle is offline Junior Member
    Totally anecdotal, but I'm currently nursing 4-month-old twins and haven't run into any problems. I shoot for around 100 g carbs per day, don't aim for ketosis but seem to occasionally end up there (usually when we're having a super-crazy morning and I realize I've forgotten to eat!). My milk supply has been pretty consistent and the babes haven't complained!
    Happy nursing!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegle View Post
    Totally anecdotal, but I'm currently nursing 4-month-old twins and haven't run into any problems. I shoot for around 100 g carbs per day, don't aim for ketosis but seem to occasionally end up there (usually when we're having a super-crazy morning and I realize I've forgotten to eat!). My milk supply has been pretty consistent and the babes haven't complained!
    Happy nursing!
    Yay on nursing the twins! Hearing that makes me so happy.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Aegle is offline Junior Member
    Hey, I've got two breasts and two babies-- it just makes sense!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another "yay for nursing twins!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast