Thread: Mayo, why so hard to make? page

Vozz is offline Senior Member

Mayo, why so hard to make?

Primal Fuel
    i tried making it twice today and both times i ended up with soup.

i used a hand whisker, maybe thats my problem,
    the first time i used a lemon, the second time i used white wine vinegar.
    I was whisking the whole times, let it trickel into the bowl, but both times it didnt work.

i tried following the recipe from the bp cook book.

any ideas as to what im doing wrong?

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    I am assuming your're adding olive oil too? You are correct to use a hand wisker as olive oil goes rancid with electric beating. Haven't heard of using vinegar before. Perhaps try looking for another recepie? Good luck!

Kitty is offline Member
    You can use an electric blender for large quantities, 6 egg yolks and olive oil in one go but I found that a fork works even better, old school.
    Adding some roasted garlic [when it goes mushy, but cook it unpeeled] is *really* good.
    I find that add a trickle, stir like hell and actually dont have a continuous trickle but doing it in spurts works for me.

good luck!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    You have to add the oil almost literally drop by drop if you're whisking by hand. One drop, whisk very well, one or two more drops, whisk very well, repeat until you can tell the emulsion is going. Then you can start to add it slightly faster. Remember, you can "rescuse" a broken emulsion by starting a new one with a fresh egg yolk + acid and then SLOWLY adding the broken emulsion to the new one.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    I used to make mayo and hollandaise by hand daily - it's really not as hard as people are saying it is. Start with a few more egg yolks - that gives you more emulsifier to work with. We were trained to reduce white wine and peppercorns and some other junk and then strain mix those things into the egg yolks over a bain marie (water bath) until the egg yolks thickened, but this step isn't needed. My suggestion:

4 yolks
    a few tsp of vinegar or lemon juice or both - this is largely a matter of preference
    1 - 2 cups of oil (for starters, see if it'll take any more later)
    salt and pepper
    1 tsp mustard (for flavor, is also an emulsifier)

whisk yolks and vinegar/lemon and salt and pepper together for a min until is gets pale. keep whisking and drizzle oil into the mixture until it thickens up.

Alternately Blender Mayo:

2 Whole Eggs
    a few tsp of vinegar or lemon juice or both - this is largely a matter of preference
    1 - 2 cups of oil (for starters, see if it'll take any more later)
    salt and pepper
    1 tsp mustard (for flavor, is also an emulsifier)

put the eggs and vinegar/lemon and salt and pepper into the blender and beat on medium for 30 seconds or until "frothy" - set blender to med-high and drizzle oil in slowly until you have mayo.

Either of these can be refined after you have the initial emulsion sauce - add more vinegar salt and pepper and stir in gently.

Vozz is offline Senior Member
    thanks. ill try the blender method and see how it goes

Helios is offline Junior Member
    Check out this blog, and click on the You Tube link to see how it's done. Like the blogger says, ignore the ingredients in the You Tube video.
    http://scdkatfood.blogspot.com/2010/...choke-dip.html

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use a food processor and have never had an issue. I add the oil slowly.