Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying up late on the computer page

Hedonist is offline Senior Member

Staying up late on the computer

Primal Fuel
    I don't stay up real late. I go to bed around 10:30 most nights. But later than Grok probably did most nights, unless he pulled early guard duty.

Re-read Mark's How Light Affects our Sleep. Since I don't intend to go to bed any earlier, I looked into the options.

What I stay up for is the virtual world Second Life. It occurred to me that I could set the time of day for any scene. I chose "sunset" for use in the evening. I also made a screen saver of a campfire scene so I don't get jolted when I turn off the program.

That made a huge difference. The first night I did it, i got in bed as I usually do, propping up on pillows until I would get sleepy. I went to sleep instantly. Two hours later, I woke up, cold because I was on top of the covers. I lay down under the covers and slept extremely well, with lots of very vivid dreams. Not quite as dramatic since then, but very good sleep. The minute I change the scene to sunset, I feel very relaxed and mellow. That's perfect because in the evening I hang out with friends.

I also make sure my bed is ready for sleep and put a flameless candle in the bathroom instead of the nightlight, which is blue green.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 09-16-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    cool. i stay up late because it's practically the only time i can finish a thought without being interrupted by little people.

you don't think grok or grokette ever stayed up late to hang out with each other by the fire?

Eteric is offline Member
    I'm sure Grok or Grokette stayed up late a few times. You have to realize that hunters and gatherers are also hunted, and some predators are extremely efficient at hunting in the night. I imagine if Grok was the one being hunted, he may have had late nights.

I've been trying to get my sleep straight as well. When I first started this (like four or five days ago), I walked barefoot on concrete the day before and my legs felt like led for two days. But one day I decided to just sleep, and I slept for 10 hours.

Crazy long time, yeah. But when I woke up, my legs felt great! Really drives home the fact that your body repairs itself while you sleep.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Hedonist: I'm guessing since you linked to Mark's post that you're also aware of f.lux for your PC. I have been using it for a while and I think it helps a good bit. How about you?

JStrick is offline Senior Member
    Mark touches on the differences between blue light and red light and how that affects things.. The program Flux works well to adjust your screen color so that it is more like the tone of a fire, which is supposed to help tell your brain its time for bed time.. I think Grok would have stayed up late, but since he did not have LED or Fluorescent type lighting(blue) telling his brain it was day time, he could easily pass out when all those bed time stories got wrapped up and people started dosing off.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    F. lux works well for me, when I can convince my husband to turn off lights and the TV. F. Lux for the TV is what would be nice.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member
    Second Life huh? haha it's funny because I just logged on for the first time in like 9 months and stayed up until about 4am last night. Mostly because all of my friends are in a different time zone than me so it's reasonable for them but very early morning for me. I find that if I stay up until the wee hours of the morning until my eyes don't stay open very well I won't have a hard time falling asleep anyways lol.

By the way do you know a member of our boards was a co creator of 7seas fishing? If you haven't tried it I highly recommend you search for it!

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Hedonist: I'm guessing since you linked to Mark's post that you're also aware of f.lux for your PC. I have been using it for a while and I think it helps a good bit. How about you?
    Thanks! My current set up is working for me. It gives me a very high level of control of the lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mav3rick View Post
    Second Life huh? haha it's funny because I just logged on for the first time in like 9 months and stayed up until about 4am last night. Mostly because all of my friends are in a different time zone than me so it's reasonable for them but very early morning for me. I find that if I stay up until the wee hours of the morning until my eyes don't stay open very well I won't have a hard time falling asleep anyways lol.

By the way do you know a member of our boards was a co creator of 7seas fishing? If you haven't tried it I highly recommend you search for it!
    Yeah. It's wonderful having friends from distant lands, but coordination can be tricky.

I know of 7Seas Fishing. Haven't tried it yet. Soooo much to see and do.

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Yeah. It's wonderful having friends from distant lands, but coordination can be tricky.

I know of 7Seas Fishing. Haven't tried it yet. Soooo much to see and do.
    What is your avatars name? I'll friend you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast