Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I know how many carbs are in Veggies and fruits? page

terriel Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

How do I know if I am eating too many veggies an fruits. I have a salad every day for lunch with some form of protein. For dinner I have protein and veggies and I sometimes have a piece of fruit during the day... I am trying to lose weight so i want to stay in the 50-100 gram range. help!!!

grandma is offline Member

try www.fitday.com or www.nutritiondata.com they will tell you what is in the foods you eat.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

My experience is that if my carbs go over 50, it's really hard to lose weight. My weight loss is in inverse relationship to the carbs I eat. Atkins was right, keep it under 20. Or 10.

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Mark recommends keeping it under 100 grams a day to lose weight and 150 grams a day to maintain your weight. I think it will be different for everyone but those are some ranges to consider.

I think it is almost impossible to eat too many vegetables. You'll just get too full before you reach your carb limit. Fruit is a different story though. If you are trying to lose weight you should limit yourself to one piece of fruit per day. An apple would be a good choice.

I hate counting calories or grams of anything though, or even measuring portion sizes and that's why I like the PB. Stay active, follow the eating guidelines and the weight will start coming off naturally.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I used to use Fitday, but have recently switched over to My Fitness Pal (upon a recommendation from someone on this forum) and like it much better.

Remember that you aren't obligated to journal your intake forever -- it's a royal nuisence! -- but I've found it a helpful thing to do for a few weeks when I'm getting the feel of a new way of eating.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Dave, you are right and you're sorta wrong. I guess some of it is, as so often, semantics. What does "weight loss" mean to you, to anyone? For me, now, it's a goal and I'm willing to work hard at it. For others, it's a happy byproduct of some changes in diet and/or lifestyle. The latter are perfectly content to let the chips fall where they may, as long as it is down on the scale, eventually.

Just read of a "success story" somewhere where the woman lost 100 pounds.........over 8 years! A pound a month. Well, good for her, but I need more motivation than that!

I just hit a new low on the scale this AM and although a pain in the patooty, I'm SO happy to record everything I eat and plan accordingly.

YMMV!

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

OTB I'm doing better with you than with my wife. She thinks I'm always wrong. :-)

You make some good points though and it really depends on what your goals and motivations are. I started my journey towards health and fitness because I wanted to "lose some weight". I didn't like my round belly. But like most Americans, I'd tried for years with varying degrees of success. But diets never worked long term for me (or for most people) because once you go off it you go back to your old habits and you regain the weight.

Success for me came when I changed my focus from my weight to my health and fitness. I wanted to get stronger and have more endurance when playing sports. The weight loss then became a side effect of getting fit.

Also, I did away with artificially imposed deadlines (weddings, reunions, etc.). So many people set these short term goals and then feel bad if they miss them, or if they do make it they revert to their old habits once the event has passed.

One pound a month wouldn't really motivate most people, but two pounds a week is not hard to achieve on PB.

I know people who have been successful measuring and weighing and recording everything they eat. I just couldn't do it myself. I even bought a kitchen scale but rarely used it. I do think it is a good idea to plan your menu for at least three days and preferrably for an entire week and then shop for that menu. Otherwise it is too easy to give into temptation and just make or eat whatever is easiest to prepare or closest at hand.

There is no one right way to lose weight, but there are several wrong ways. Most people would be successful if they stopped eating food that had a mascot or made any kind of health claim (read processed food). That's it. Just do that and you'll lose weight. It might not come off as fast you you would like but it will happen.

Mick Guest

[quote]

How do I know if I am eating too many veggies an fruits. I have a salad every day for lunch with some form of protein. For dinner I have protein and veggies and I sometimes have a piece of fruit during the day... I am trying to lose weight so i want to stay in the 50-100 gram range. help!!!
    </blockquote>

Is it that critical? Vegetables twice a day and a single piece of fruit hardly sounds excessive for any adult even, say, a small, sedentary female. I mean, it&#39;s not like someone eating four of five pieces of fruit or glasses of fruit juice.

You mention "some form of protein" and the vegetables and fruit. Are you getting enough fat - of the right sort - because you don&#39;t mention that? That&#39;s critical for health.

I wouldn&#39;t worry about losing weight but wait and see if it comes off. I think it&#39;s more important for anyone to be sure he or she is eating healthily here and now today - getting a varied, rounded, balanced diet with all the nutrients needed - rather than thinking about a goal in the future. If you&#39;re doing that and getting enough exercise (without going crazy) the weight can hardly fail to come off.

EDIT

Whoops!

I misread. You said: "I sometimes have a piece of fruit during the day" [my italics].

So this means you sometimes don&#39;t.

This is definitely not excessive. You want to be sure you&#39;re getting all the nutrients you need, as I said above. How about Vitamin C, for example?

Surprisingly, it&#39;s actually not necessary to eat any plant foods to get Vitamin C. There is some in the adrenal glands of freshly killed game. I think marrow is also quite high in it. However, you&#39;re not likely to eat those. The most obvious source is fresh fruit. I&#39;d certainly include one or two small pieces of fresh fruit (not fruit juice) a day. that&#39;s more important than a weight-loss goal, and the weight loss is going to happen anyway.

terriel Guest

thank you all for the responses. I have been really good and have been primal for about 3 weeks now. My husband and I both need to lose a few pounds. I do try to get in enough fat, but I love veggies, so I was just concerned I was eating too many carbs. I don&#39;t think I am now. We are also ride bikes 4 to 5 times a week for our exercise. I average 20-30 miles after work. So, taking that in, I am probably ok. Fat on the other hand is more difficult for me. I eat nuts, avocado, change over to coconut oil, but that&#39;s about it. any suggestions on what type of fat I should be eating/

ohiolopez is offline Junior Member

I started using Carb Tracker on my iphone. I think this is a great app. I track my weight, carb intake and water. Very good food database.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast