Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D proven far better than vaccines at preventing influenza infections page

shemdogg is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D proven far better than vaccines at preventing influenza infections

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Just a side thought, my asthma has been much better since I've been dosing up on Vit D - I cant remember the last time I took a puff on my ventolin inhaler??. On the other hand, I never used to notice a lessening during the summer when I was getting natural vit D????

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Suse, perhaps you weren't getting as much D from the sun as you thought you were?

Glad your asthma is so much better. I'll remember that, and tell any asthma sufferer I bump into about it. Maybe it will work for others as well as it does for you.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    PDL, you could be right about not enough D in the summer. Re my asthma, I think substantial decrease in the grains has also helped in this area as well. As I say, I've definitely noticed an improvement and I cant believe that I suddenly grew out of it at age 48!

Grizz is offline Banned
    I also just discovered a link between low levels of Vitamin D and DIABETES ! ! !

Additional Information just found:
    ========================
    Why waste money on vitamin D pills at all?

FOODS HIGH IN VITAMIN D
    ============================
    1) Shitake & Button Mushrooms
    2) 3.5 Ozs Mackerel supplies 90%
    3) 3.5 Ozs Salmon supplies 90%
    4) Herring - loaded with vit D
    5) Sardines - 1 tin supplies 70%
    6) Catfish - Loaded with Vit D
    7) Tuna fish - 3 ozs supplies 50%
    8) Cod Liver Oil - 1 Tbl spoon = 10,000 Units of Vit D (300%), loaded with more health benefits, see link
    9) Eggs - 10% of vit D per egg
    10) 1 cup milk - 25% of vit D
    11) Krill Oil 54 x more powerful than fish oil in Vit D
    12) Many Foods Fortified in Vit D include yogurt, cerials, etc - See links

Vitamin D is vital for cardiovascular, bone, mental health, and plays a role in cancer prevention.
    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/25...#ixzz0zs0NFgMj
    * The prevention of chronic diseases such as many forms of cancer, osteoporosis, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension.
    * The protection and lubrication of your bones, teeth and hair.
    * The regulation of cellular growth and healthy cell activity
    * Overall reduction of the inflammatory response, a condition known to cause many chronic diseases, from cancer to diabetes to obesity.
    * Protection against adult osteoporosis
    * Reduction in the risk of breast cancer in perimenopausal women
    * Significant reduction in the occurrence of prostate cancer in African-American men
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...ing-vitamin-d/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/25...ain-vitamin-d/

AMAZING BENEFITS OF KRILL OIL
    =======================
    Krill Oil supplements are a SUPER FOODS that supply not only ALL of our Vitamin D Requirements, but also rich in omega-3 fatty acids and many additional benefits. NOTE Krill Oil does not suffer the risks of mercury and pesticides.
    http://krilloil.com/krill-oil-benefits.html
    Just take a Krill oil Supplement and call it a day!

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 09-18-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Ellis is offline Junior Member
    Good post Grizz. On a side note I'd be wary of anything "fortified" with Vitamin D, or any other substance. Keep in mind that the food manufacturers (an apt title the more I think of it) are going to be looking at maximizing profit, and they'll be sourcing their ingredients as cheaply as possible. That doesn't work out too well for the person ingesting it, most of the time.

Case in point: attending a presentation from a supplement vendor, I heard how great their calcium tablets were. They had huge amounts of calcium, tests showed that people who took them had higher amounts of calcium in their blood than any other supplement, and amazingly they were awesome sleep aids. She told us if we were having trouble sleeping, pop a couple of calcium tabs before bed. They were "all natural" too.

I took a look at the label on the bottle and saw what the source of the calcium was : calcium carbonate. Ring a bell? Its chalk. Simple ground up challk powder. Of course it'll put you to sleep - your body is trying to digest powdered rocks. Where will it find energy to stay awake?

So technically, this was a good calcium supplement. Any assays would show high levels of calcium in the tabs. It just wasn't bioavailable. But at least its cheap. Ever wonder why most "vitamin-enriched" foods have high levels of B vitamins over anything else? Its not because we need them more than anything else. Its because B vitamins are the cheapest to generate in the lab.

My point, of course, is that drinking milk to get vitamin D is really not a good idea. Then again, drinking pasteurized milk to get anything other than sick isn't a good idea either.

Maleficarum is offline Member
    Foods fortified with Vit D (namely mushrooms and milk) do not have anything added to them. The foods are just exposed to brief, but high intensity UV light. The food naturally converts cholesterols already present into Vitamin D. Mushrooms are one of the only fungal sources of Vit D.

it's not really a supplement... it is something the food naturally does... just triggered in a non-natural way. i am hesitant to say it is not primal... simply because you can emulate the same process by exposing your mushrooms to sunlight before eating them.

Ellis is offline Junior Member
    I don't know about mushrooms, but your enrichment of milk is missing quite a few steps. Milk has both naturally occurring and industrially added D, and simply exposing milk to UV of any duration isn't going to produce D. The D added to milk is made from outside sources of cholesterol. What is already in the milk is the result of the phytochemical reaction you may be thinking of, that is UV stimulation of the skin of the milk producing cow.

A great primer on the subject:

http://vitamind.ucr.edu/milk.html

Interesting to note that Professor Norman mentions the two largest producers of synthesized D are LaRoche (pharmaceuticals) and BASF (an industrial giant that makes, among other things, automotive coatings). Prof Norman points out that even though labels require disclosure of ingredients, we have no way of knowing the original sources of those ingredients, which is my original point.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficarum View Post
    Foods fortified with Vit D (namely mushrooms and milk) do not have anything added to them. The foods are just exposed to brief, but high intensity UV light. The food naturally converts cholesterols already present into Vitamin D. Mushrooms are one of the only fungal sources of Vit D.
    Mushrooms have naturally occuring D2 - by definition, they are not fortified since it occurs naturally. It is not helpful for raising serum D levels.

Milk is fortified with vitamin added D3 directly.
    Last edited by cillakat; 09-18-2010 at 09:26 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    I also just discovered a link between low levels of Vitamin D and DIABETES ! ! !

Additional Information just found:
    ========================
    Why waste money on vitamin D pills at all?
    Because none of the foods you mentioned supplies more than a few hundred IU's of vitamin D per day.

And we need about 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight per day to maintain levels in the middle of the reference range. Some need more, some need less...which is why testing is critical.

Please see my linked D doc below for accurate information regarding levels and testing.

Krill has little to no D depending on who you read. It's great for other things though.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast