Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revealing experience with Omega 6, animal fats and inflammation page

racingsnake is offline Senior Member

Revealing experience with Omega 6, animal fats and inflammation

Primal Fuel
    I'm a bit different from most of you in that my gut is kind of on a knife edge. Which makes it quite a useful testing ground for nutritional stuff. And I thought a recent experience might be of use to some people.

With my gut's tendency to get all upset, it goes without saying that grains, pulses, dairy, eggs (white at least) are all offf the menu, and MDA does a good job of explaining why.

A more subtle aspect of diet is how omega 3 and omega 6 affect inflammation, and we all know that omega 6 is pro-inflammatory while omega 3 is anti-inflammatory.

For several months I've been having seemingly randoms flares of gut-driven inflammation that I couldn't work out, until I spotted a pattern in my food diary. Before each of the flares I had eaten large amounts of:

- free range chicken thighs / drumsticks
    - free range duck with lots of goose fat
    - potato chips (I know, I know)
    - pork belly and lard from the supermarket

The pattern (I think) in all of these if you haven't spotted it yet is that these are all high in omega 6 fats. The pork is the best, but when I had flares, I had eaten it at 3 meals consecutively and consumed a lot of lard too. I am guessing that because it was supermarket pork, it was factory farmed (sorry pigs, sorry, never again) and hence would be higher in omega 6 than pastured pork.

So there we have real-life evidence of omega 6 in action - it makes it feel much more real, let me tell you.

Incidentally, my last omega 3:6 ratio was 1:6 after 6 months of high fat paleo (which is pretty good). Previously on much lower fat, it was 1:4 (which is very good).

I hope that's of some interest, it's bleedin fascinating to me, but then it would be, wouldn't it?

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    How do you know what your ratios are? Just keeping track of your foods, or is there some test that you've had done?

Webby is offline Member
    racingsnake, I have exactly the same experiences as you. I fare better on pork, so just go easy on it. I get mine from a butchers, but I don't think in terms of quality it is better than supermarket (does taste better though), so prob still high in Omega-6s.

I'm incredibly sensitive to chicken too- even free range. And yep, the dark meat is the killer. I just can't face it anymore knowing what it does to me.

Eliminating the obvious O-6s has done as much for my issues as going grain-free. I didn't realise how many I had in my diet, prior to finding this WOE and hadn't expected it to be such a big factor. Turns out it was.

It was definitely the missing link!

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    How did you determine that it was inflammation resulting in your omega balance and not a digestive issue. Correlation's can be confusing.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yes I don't think that we can deduce anything definitive but nonetheless it is in everyone's interest to eat less polyunsatured fats, period.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

fyrespryte, I have regular blood tests done which measure cellular omega ratios. Which is apparently becoming easier - there was a BBD radio 4 program on the other day on fats (some good info, some of the usual nonsense) which said you can now do 3:6 with a finger stick test: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tpt0b

Webby, that is really good to hear, thank you. You obviously understand how frustrating it is to have insoluble health issues. It's very reassuring to get confirmation of a theory.

Chefgerry - you're quite right, diagnosing causality is really hard. I've discovered that over more than 5 years keeping a food diary. These days I am very careful about jumping to conclusions having got it wrong so many times in the past, which is why I didn't post this as a fait accompli.

As Stabby says, there is no real conclusion to draw from this (apart from for me personally of course). I wanted to post my experiences to see if anyone could help, and whether they might help anyone else. There is a world of difference between reading 'eat less omega 6' again and again, and directly experiencing the negative effects of doing otherwise.

Thanks again Webby, it's always nice when you hear you're not the only freak out there

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting, racingsnake, thank you.

I have a touchy digestion too. I'll look more carefully at the omega ratios. I didn't know about the finger-stick test, either.

Do you find that nuts are a problem with the omega 6-omega3 ratio?

I just bought some krill oil. Does having fish or krill oil help you with digestive issues?

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    Yep, there's a reason I don't eat any poultry, pork and nuts/seeds. I used to keep track of my ratios via blood tests but that was years ago.

piano-doctor-lady, nuts are off the menu for me, but due to a mold/yeast allergy - knowing what I know now I'd steer clear on the omega 6 front too, at least until I get these flare ups sorted! I eat oily fish nearly every day for the omega 3, and have got some pure omega 3 supplements - I can't be sure that they help, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't. There was a new study out on the mechanism of how omega 3 reduces inflammation (sorry, I don't have the reference to hand), and apparently the DHA is the most important component, so if anyone knows of some omega 3 oil with outrageously high DHA I'd be glad to know.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    racingsnake, could you give an indication of the digestive probs you have? "Cos this SOUNDS like me - last week was really bad, and I'd had either chicken or pork (sausages, gluten free) at most meals. Eat, enjoy - bathroom!

I do have fish two or three times a week, but that could be increased - it is just so much more expensive than pork and chicken weight for weight!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast