Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbs are essential for effective dieting and good mood, Wurtman says page

Muppet is offline Senior Member

Carbs are essential for effective dieting and good mood, Wurtman says

Shop Now
    just read this. the article doesn't say how many carbs do this though...and so it doesn't really help too much!

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html

During the current low-carb/pro-protein diet craze, carbohydrates have been demonized -- accused of causing weight gain and blamed as the reason people can't lose weight. Do they deserve this stigma? Not according to MIT researcher Judith Wurtman.
    Wurtman, director of the Program in Women's Health at the MIT Clinical Research Center, and colleagues have found that when you stop eating carbohydrates, your brain stops regulating serotonin, a chemical that elevates mood and suppresses appetite. And only carbohydrate consumption naturally stimulates production of serotonin.
    "When serotonin is made and becomes active in your brain, its effect on your appetite is to make you feel full before your stomach is stuffed and stretched," said Wurtman. "Serotonin is crucial not only to control your appetite and stop you from overeating; it's essential to keep your moods regulated."
    Antidepressant medications are designed to make serotonin more active in the brain and extend that activity for longer periods of time to assist in regulating moods. Carbohydrates raise serotonin levels naturally and act like a natural tranquilizer.
    Wurtman's husband, Richard Wurtman, the Cecil H. Green Distinguished Professor at MIT and the director of the Clinical Research Center, along with former graduate student John Fernstrom, discovered that the brain makes serotonin only after a person consumes sweet or starchy carbohydrates. But the kicker is that these carbohydrates must be eaten in combination with very little or no protein, the Wurtmans' combined research determined.
    So a meal like pasta or a snack of graham crackers will allow the brain to make serotonin, but eating chicken and potatoes or snacking on beef jerky will actually prevent serotonin from being made. This can explain why people may still feel hungry even after they have eaten a 20-ounce steak. Their stomachs are full but their brains may not be making enough serotonin to shut off their appetites.
    And what do protein dieters (especially women) miss most after the second week? Carbohydrates. Women have much less serotonin in their brains than men, so a serotonin-depleting diet will make women feel irritable.
    "There are people we call carbohydrate cravers who need to eat a certain amount of carbohydrates to keep their moods steady," said, Wurtman, co-founder of Adara, a weight-management company whose programs are based on her research. "Carbohydrate cravers experience a change in their mood, usually in the late afternoon or mid-evening. And with this mood change comes a yearning to eat something sweet or starchy."
    Thus, it's not just a matter of will power or mind over matter; the brain is in control and sends out signals to eat carbohydrates. According to Wurtman's clinical studies, if the carbohydrate craver eats protein instead, he or she will become grumpy, irritable or restless. Furthermore, filling up on fatty foods like bacon or cheese makes you tired, lethargic and apathetic. Eating a lot of fat, she said, will make you an emotional zombie.
    "When you take away the carbohydrates, it's like taking away water from someone hiking in the desert," Wurtman said. "If fat is the only alternative for a no- or low-carb dieter to consume to satiate the cravings, it's like giving a beer to the parched hiker to relieve the thirst -- temporary relief, but ultimately not effective."
    __._,_.___

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Dang, there's clearly something wrong with me: "Furthermore, filling up on fatty foods like bacon or cheese makes you tired, lethargic and apathetic. Eating a lot of fat...will make you an emotional zombie."

Seems to leave me feeling full (of both food and energy) and feeling vibrant.

The only thing that gives me temporary relief followed by tiredness, lethargy, and apathy is eating a bunch of carbs on their own!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet View Post
    filling up on fatty foods like bacon or cheese makes you tired, lethargic and apathetic. Eating a lot of fat, she said, will make you an emotional zombie.
    lies!
    Last edited by MeatMe216; 09-16-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: quote fail

If anything, carbs- be it whole grains (like oatmeal) or much fruit, and especially anything sugary leave me half asleep, foggy and just lethargic.

However, too much fat leaves me with other issues.

I think it's finding your own personal balance. Some people might do better on carbs than I do... but my dad is diabetic and had the same reactions to carbs, so I think I'd better watch myself.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Well... my moods and emotions did change as a result of eating lower carb. I've become sharper, quicker and clearer in realising what I want, less obsessively people-pleasing. The change was quite sudden and left some people wondering where the vague fluffy endlessly-consultative version of me had gone. I don't particularly miss her.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    carbohydrates have been demonized --
    ^ is a low carb Daemon and happens to enjoy being daemonized.
    |
    |

GrokInTheFog is offline Junior Member
    more bacon and cheese for us

Griff is offline Senior Member
    *sigh* I can't read that idiocy without my blood pressure rising to dangerous levels.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    just read this. the article doesn't say how many carbs do this though...and so it doesn't really help too much!

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html

During the current low-carb/pro-protein diet craze
    Oh, and low-fat diets are not a craze? Not even the one that's left Gywenneth Paltrow in the early stages of osteoporosis in her thirties?

carbohydrates have been demonized
    Sigh. And fats haven't been for about the past fifty or sixty years? Not that anyone with any sense thinks carbohydrate-rich foods are demonic (good grief!). It's just that people who actually have an open mind on these things and have paid attention to empirical evidence know you have to approach them with a certain degree of caution and moderation.

-- accused of causing weight gain and blamed as the reason people can't lose weight.
    Oh, good grief. The poor carbohydrates - subjects of "accusation" and "blame". However, inanimate objects - let alone chemical constituents - can't be "accused" of crimes or be the subject of praise and blame.

They cause weight gain. All right?

That's an empirical finding.

Do they deserve this stigma?
    Oh, good God, we're back with our "pathetic fallacy" again, are we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathetic_fallacy

Not according to MIT researcher Judith Wurtman.
    Wurtman, director of the Program in Women's Health at the MIT Clinical Research Center, and colleagues have found that when you stop eating carbohydrates, your brain stops regulating serotonin, a chemical that elevates mood and suppresses appetite.
    Seratonin doesn't elevate mood, anyway.

When people get drunk seratonin goes down. That's one of the reasons they do it.

People have thought that high levels of seratonin help with mood. They don't. Drugs that boost the production of seratonin can work for depressed patients - but, as I understand it, that's actually because if you get to a point where there's far too much - there's already plenty if you're depressed - you reach a kind of burn-out where the receptors for seratonin stop paying attention to it.

Enough of this. Why can't these people learn to write like adults? And why cannot a "director" of "Women's Health" actually do a bit of research for once?
    Last edited by Lewis; 09-16-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast