Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it? page

James17 Guest

Primal Fuel

First of all, I apologise if I sound blunt, but today wasn't great. Oh and sorry if this ends up being long, I tend to ramble.

I began eating primally a week or two ago. After a while it became clear that I couldn't continue doing so because I'm 17 so I live with my non-primal parents and the food wasn't available. But after a considerable amound of debating my parents agreed to buy more primal foods. So I am now able to eat primally without under eating.

Over the last week I've been extremely irritable. Anything will annoy me and I just want to be left alone. I'm also extremely lethargic. I know this is the phase that a lot of people go through when they start. But today I had a very important hurling match (it's an Irish sport). We lost and I'm really not in a good mood about it because I really believe that if I had run more we would have won. I'm sure there were factors other than the diet, but 2 weeks ago I would have played that match a lot better than I did tonight and the only thing that I have changed is what I'm eating.

I'm finding it really hard to tell my friends and peers about what I'm doing. As I'm sure you can imagine most 17 year olds don't care what 'food' they're eating. I've been called a hippie, an anorexic, a gay (Don't understand that one) and a weird freak for things like refusing brown soda bread because it's unhealthy.

So far the only positive effect I've realised is that I've realised that Coca Cola and Mars Bars aren't food. They don't even resemble food. I don't feel any better, in fact I feel worse. My acne hasn't improved in the slightest. And my parents are getting quite irritated with my requests for foods any time they go shopping and, what annoys me most is that my hobby has suffered.

So please tell me that doing this will be worth it. Will I really feel as healthy, energetic and happy as I've been told? Because being extremely healthy is nice and all but I want to be able to really feel it if I'm going to stay going to all this trouble...

C2H5OH is offline Senior Member

You'll hate yourself if you stop

And the others will be glad that you didn't succeed

I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
    Yeah!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Hey, I'm only 18 and also in the same situation as you. It's so hard talking to my mom about it! I just jumped in the wagon recently (less than week), so I'm really curious about this too. Thanks for asking what was on my mind, I'll stick around. I hope things get better for you.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

James,

My opinion is that you probably want to firstly get enough calories in your diet, especially if you&#39;re playing sports.

Even if you can lean in the direction of "Primal" and shy away from not so great food options like sugar, grains, etc. Then you&#39;re doing pretty good.

I&#39;d try to eat as many "Primal" calories as you can get your hands on in a day. And then make up the difference with other (maybe less desirable) food choices.

Ultimately you&#39;re going to need those calories, and having way too little is very likely going to cause you go get grumpy, irritable, lethargic, and cause your ability to compete in sports to suffer.

It sounds like you know what foods to avoid, so do your best to avoid them. But you&#39;re probably going to have to do some compromising to get your calorie needs in first and foremost.

Hope that helps!

-Sean

I started various diets when I was 16, but they all were hoax diets, and my parents don&#39;t believe me now whatever I say you are lucky to start with true diet giving real results

Yeah!

James17 Guest

Thanks guys! Just the fact that people replied lessened the dispair :P

It&#39;s gonna be hard sometimes but in the words of Henry Ford &#39;If you think you can do a thing, or you think you can&#39;t do a thing, you&#39;re right&#39;. I think I can do it!

And haha! good point C2H50H. It would be an awful shame to give them the joy of seeing me fail!

when in doubt - binge on meat ;d

Yeah!

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

James, why are you going primal to begin with? What inspired you? What do you hope to achieve with it?

Katt is offline Senior Member

Hang in there, James! And I second Sean&#39;s advice. Get as primal as you can, then make up the difference with less desirable foods such as beans and sweet potatoes, etc.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Elana Guest

James, I really do hope you stick with it. It took me a lot longer to adjust than others seem to, six weeks, but once I did I was so happy that I stuck with it.

I&#39;m 32 and suffer "adult-onset acne". It has begun to finally clear up, although it took some time. I&#39;m not a patient person so living Primal has been hard for me. I tend to want results and want them NOW. I&#39;ve been doing this for a little over three months and am finally starting to feel that this is certainly going to be a life-long endeavor for me.

I train extremely hard at an MMA school in town and also run and strength train at home outside of the four days/week that I train at the school. It was extremely hard for those first 5-6 weeks and just as I was about to give up, I literally woke up one day not feeling as hungry and still able to push through an intense workout without feeling like I was a big mass of spaghetti. It&#39;s different for everyone, so even I was disheartened when people said it would take a few weeks to get through the doldrums. It took me twice as long as most people but I&#39;m glad I persevered!

There are a few young people at the school where I train and see them struggle from time to time. Just remember this; if you stick with this, you will be worlds ahead of your peers and they&#39;ll all be looking at you with envy, asking you how you got so fit, stay so happy, and excel in academics. Your body and your brain, ever cell of you, will thank you for the choice you&#39;ve made. Don&#39;t give up! Fight the big fight!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast