Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two words for you - Clotted Cream...mmmm page

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member

Two words for you - Clotted Cream...mmmm

Shop Now
    Anyway -

Came across it looking for a grass-fed dairy supplier in my area - to get my eggs and butter and yoghurt from.

: - )

mmm

Clotted Cream...

(Also very fond of Chantilly Cream but they put sugar in that)
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

SpiritWarrior is offline Member
    Have you see the Baileys thick cream? Asda has it <yummy>

yeah i did see that...almost as good as baileys haagen daaz....mmmm

but clotted cream is completely clean - especially if fresh from the dairy!

yummy, yummy, yummy I got love in my tummy! (i just wish they's stop showing shots of it with towering stacks of scones with jam...i feel it sucking my willpower!)
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    I know I know!! But I can't have it in the house - it's not safe!!! The entire pot would literally last about 5 minutes! I know because I've done it before (okay, I was 5 years old at the time, but the intervening 3 decades won't have made much difference!) We used to go to a farm in South Wales (it was a working farm back then, it's just holiday cottage lets now) they kept Channel Island cows (mainly Jerseys, but a few Guernseys and Alderneys too). I was such a greedy little bint back then - I can recall drinking pint after pint after pint of their milk (AND IT WAS RAW!! If you go by all this health and safety bollocks, I should be dead by now!) It had a layer of cream about an inch thick and I can remember having to whack it out of the bottle (like ketchup) and then ending up with a bowlful of milk! The cats were very obliging - and VERY fat!

They made their own cream, butter, cheese and ice-cream, too. Carole's (the wife's) suppers were legendary. Homemade blackberry and apple crumble with PROPER cream, so thick you could stand the spoon up in it and it'd stay like that! Shepherd's pie made with mince from the farm down the road, and breakfast was down the road's bacon and bangers, and their own eggs (they used to run egg-hunting competitions for us kids).

This is what makes me so sad, in a way, with all these nonsensical health and safety regs around now kids today won't ever experience the same freedoms I did when I was little. Those holidays were idyllic (not even mentioned the damming of the river to make a natural swimming pool or the trips round the massive top field on Big Red (a huge quadbike) - kids wouldn't be allowed to do that these days (I was 5 when I first rode on Big Red). We used to climb up piles of hay bales and jump off (I only ever ended up with a nosebleed once) camp up in the hayloft... Thenk, when we were older, the mansion's kitchen became an illegal (underage) drinking den (I remember the nights of spin the bottle and truth or dare) and I recall Julian, the younger son, giving me my first joint (I think I was about 13 and he was 15). We used to play a version of Monopoly where, if you ended up in jail, you had to down shots, of something that Julian concocted, until you were 'released'.

Yep, sweet and innocent Catholic public schoolgirl, me!

Think I'll stop now before I take this any more off topic - and I start blubbing!

But the main thing I remember was that the woman who looked after the cows - WAS CALLED PAT!! I am HONESTLY not making that up!

Oh yeah, Missy - you told me you only ate yogurt as far as dairy went - ya wee fibber!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Victoria is offline Senior Member
    Oh I love Clotted Cream .... there's no where near me that sells it though, but the British stores in the larger cities often have it. When I go back to Britain this winter I am going to be indulging in it
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post

Oh yeah, Missy - you told me you only ate yogurt as far as dairy went - ya wee fibber!
    hmm - I think I said I had milk with tea as well and cheese? (feta) perhaps you got me mixed with someone else?

That's all I BUY. is yoghurt and cheese. mainly because I am skint!
    Scottish Sarah

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    This stuff sounds really good. I wonder if we can get it here in the Dallas area in Texas?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    This stuff sounds really good. I wonder if we can get it here in the Dallas area in Texas?
    It's a product of Devon and Cornwall in the English West Country. If it's not generally available in North America there's a chance it would be in areas that were settled from Devon or Cornwall. (It'd maybe be around somewhere like Prince Edward Island in Canada.)

The name probably comes "clout" - a thick patch - and turns up in old MSS. as clowtyd, clouted, clowted, clawted, and clotted.

They took the night's milk and put it in a broad earthenware pan. In the morning they set it over a slow fire and let it stand there till night, making sure it didn't boil. Then it was taken off the fire and left to cool all night, and next morning they'd "dish off" the cream. Peat or wood fires were used. I think it was said that the best tasting clotted cream was got when ash (wood from the ash tree, I mean) was used.

Presumably modern dairies do something similar, although I doubt it's a real open fire of ash wood.

It's obviously quite rich stuff. It's sometimes spread on food like you would with butter, and is good just eaten by the spoonful.

Victoria is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Check out The British Emporium in Grapevine. They should carry it (I saw it in stock last time I was up there visiting). It's imported from the UK.

It doesn't show on their website, but they might have it in stock.

there are other British Expat shops that sell it online though.
    Last edited by Victoria; 09-16-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I read somewhere that a reasonable substitute would be mixed mascarpone and cream - which I think is what some around here call whipped heaven. If so, sounds delicious for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast