I'll give you my stats, goals, etc., some other day, but I wanted to start writing down what I eat. I eat pretty well on the cheap, creatively, with whatever I have available. It's not 100% grass-fed, clean or organic, but I'm healthier, thinner, and happier than I've been in a long time, so I want to show that you can do primal on a budget and not stress too much if you can't afford the best all the time.

So tonight I shopped at the veritable thrift store of food, Grocery Outlet. Affectionately known as "Gross Out". Don't worry, it's not really gross, and if you like bargain hunting and surprises, this place is for you. Hint: canned wild Alaska red salmon $2.49, pink $1.99.

I can give you a rundown of my entire shopping trip, where I had a $3 off coupon for G.O., plus a run to the upscale supermarket chain for slightly better quality meat and armed with a coupon for 99c butter, but I'll spare you the details for now. I did do this on my bicycle. In the rain. Uphill both ways. Just kidding on the last one.

I got home, it was late, and I was hungry. I thought briefly about wrapping my $1.49 Oscar Meyer "natural" hot dogs in bacon (not at all natural--$2.49), broiling them and eating them with no-added-crap guacamole (99c). But I wasn't even feeling that ambitious. I decided I would sauté some cut up hot dogs in butter and that would be the end of it. But into the pan went my go-to combo of onions, cabbage and apples (foraged from an abandoned urban tree next to a parking lot). I added kosher salt (not too much--the dogs are salty), fresh ground black pepper, cumin seeds, paprika and ground mustard. And more butter! It took hardly any extra time to jazz up my cheap protein source. I'm not good at doing math in my head, but that's a pretty cheap meal! More kitchen adventures to follow.