Thread: The Biochemical Magic of Raw Milk and Other Raw Foods: Glutathione page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

The Biochemical Magic of Raw Milk and Other Raw Foods: Glutathione

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    New WAPF blog post from Chris Masterjohn:

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/th...utathione.html

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Neato. I will at least eat my tomatoes raw. I don't know if I'm ready to take the raw meat plunge, I think supplements may be the better route there, at least for me. Lots of people at other paleo sites don't seem to have problems with the raw meats, but I would rather cook them.
    Last edited by Stabby; 09-16-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

It sounds like Mark's large salad is probably no bad way to go.

The whey thing is interesting. There apparently used to be "whey houses" all across Europe. People are credulous, but presumably, they did "work" for some patients or they wouldn't have stayed in business. People went to take the waters at Bath because it worked - after a long dip and a few glasses from the spring you'd feel the need to urinate and would pass out some the lead in your body. (At the time they used to sweeten cider with it.)

My only excuse on the title is that I copied and pasted it.

Mind you, if I did believe in witchcraft it would be authentically primal of me. People in some (probably more than some) small-scale societies seem not to have a concept of chance and the accidental. For them there must always be agency involved, and if it's not direct, then it must be through witchcraft. It must make it pretty hairy when someone has an unfortunate accident and starts looking around for likely suspects.

In truth, I'm fairly hard-headed, but I don't discount everything that's not immediately explicable in "our" terms. There are reports of Bushmen women beginning to prepare for the hunters' return for no obvious reason, and when asked they say they know the hunters have killed. I think people living in remote places away from all our modern distractions - and not brought up to disregard intuitions - could well be more sensitive to areas of experience that our society (or rather it's educated and articulate part) would discount too hastily.

Why not? If Immanuel Kant can keep an open mind on such matters (at least in private letters to Moses Mendelssohn) ...

After recounting several impressive stories, Kant tells how Swedenborg was once able to describe in precise detail a fire that ‘had just broken out in Stockholm’, even though he was fifty miles away in Göteborg. He says this ‘occurrence appears to me to have the greatest weight of proof, and to place the assertion respecting Swedenborg’s extraordinary gift beyond all possibility of doubt.’ In a subsequent letter (8 April 1766) to Mendelssohn Kant explains that he clothed his thoughts with ridicule in order to avoid being ridiculed by other philosophers for paying attention to mystical visions (hardly taken seriously by most philosophers in the Enlightenment).

Jea I realized that it was that wickedy witch Chris Masterjohn who said that. On second thought I kind of like "biochemical magical" as an offbeat juxtaposition and I'm sure that was the purpose. Magic and the paranormal are in reality placeholder concepts that have been allowed to propagate unchecked by the credulous and needing of a definitive explanation. If we accept that for everything that happens, there is a reason why and how it happens, then we have to relegate these terms to the status of ad hoc explanations for the inexplicable to quell curious but impatient minds. And so it doesn't follow that these things are necessarily nothing, but certainly not that they are necessarily anything in particular, by evoking magic as an explanation we are admitting that we don't know, since "magic" and the paranormal as explanations do not actually demonstrate anything, only that something happened and we don't know what; there is no getting from that to any specific explanation. Indeed those who once claimed that whey houses or the milk diet were miraculous or magical were just lacking for a mechanism, glutathione may be that mechanism. Although all of that calcium can't be good for the arteries.

Kant had some neat ideas and I don't doubt his experience, only what he infers from it, if that something is anything at all. I'm reading Hume right now so I may not be too open to the paranormal stuff. If we had grounds for speaking meaningfully about such things, they would no longer be paranormal because we would understand their mechanisms.

Actually, I wouldn't see beliefs about magic specifically (putting stuff like ESP on one side) primarily in terms of explanations. Nor merely as having to do with beliefs about what's beyond immediate sense experience. What's important there seems to be the belief that the sorcerer can make things happen as he wishes by means of his procedures. He has a kind of "technology" - only, unlike science, it seems it doesn't work (although, sure, it can have an effect on those who believe it does). Those kinds of beliefs and that approach seems fairly typical of hunter-gatherers. That's quite unlike what you get with Christianity (particularly post-Reformation), Buddhism (for the most part), or (I understand) the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. There you've got the belief that the unseen can't be coerced by means of the correct procedure or incantation - and it may thought impious to assume it can be. Horace in Pagan Rome seems to have thought the same:

You must not ask the end (to know is
    wickedness)
    that God has set for you and me,
    Lynne, my white heart: Leuconoe: you must

not

search in our horoscopes. Let’s take what

comes ...
    I guess one could say we're at least two steps away from the mind-set of the hunter-gatherer.

I think I killed this thread. Bump due to excellent article.