Thread: Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe page

Longtail4711 is offline Senior Member

Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe

Primal Fuel
    I use Cream of Mushroom Soup for a lot of recipes, but it usually has flour in it, so I came up with this flour-less version.

Cream of Mushroom Soup

5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 1/2 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons squash or pumpkin puree
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 cup half-and-half
    1 tablespoon sherry

Directions
    1. In a large heavy saucepan, cook mushrooms in the broth with onion and thyme until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
    2. In blender or food processor, puree the mixture , leaving some chunks of vegetable in it. Set aside.
    3. In the saucepan, melt the butter. Add the salt, pepper, the pumpkin or squash, half and half, and vegetable puree. Stirring constantly, bring soup to a boil and cook until thickened. Adjust seasonings to taste, and add sherry.

Pumpkin and squash are excellent sauce and soup thickeners because they are mild tasting.

I make up a huge pot of this and freeze it.

One of my favorite recipes with CoM soup is to lay pork chops in a baking dish over a bed of vegetables and pour the CoM soup over it, then let it roast at 400 degrees for a half hour or until the chops are cooked through. SO YUMMY and super easy when you just want a nice one-pot meal with very little preparation.

dakini is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good! I love cream soups and have been needing a primal version

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I love the idea of using pumpkin in this. I do use pumpkin to thicken soups and chilis but never thought to try it in CoM! I'm going to try this with my mushroom meatloaf. That recipe called for mixing a little canned campbells CoM in the meat mixture and pouring the rest on top for a sauce. Been missing that meal since I've cleaned up my foods. Now I can have it a healthy way.

Thanks for sharing this recipe.

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    I make a similar version, but I puree some of the sauteed onions and mushrooms to thicken the soup.

And, while sherry can be great to enhance the flavor of mushroom soups, a little bit of soy sauce is also an excellent flavoring option. You won't know it's in there but it's an "umami on umami" flavoring enhancement.