Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bodyweight circuits daily? page

Waltzes is offline Junior Member

Bodyweight circuits daily?

Primal Fuel
    I have a novice question,

Would you imagine doing some form of functional bodyweight circuit- I guess a combination of primal essential movements, on a daily basis, with less intensity/reps/sets than if done only two or three times a week would be beneficial or ultimately counterproductive? I understand the concept of overtraining, but if the workouts were light and quick, presumably that wouldn't be an issue?

To be honest, I ask only in order to try and construct some sort of habitual morning routine and bodyweight exercise tend to help wake me up (along with a cold shower blast), and was wondering how to combine this with an overall program in a way that suits my routine timewise. Obviously it's a personal thing, but I'm relatively unlearned about all this and was wondering if there are any obvious disadvantages to working the same muscle groups daily?

Thanks.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Doing daily bodyweight exercises is a good idea. Focus on different areas of the body in two- or three-day splits.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Depends on what the goal is.
    Strength or mass gain would be unlikely.
    Muscle endurance and metabolic conditioning gain would be likely. Probably with strength mainenance.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Strength and mass gains are very likely if you challenge yourself. You may be able to knock out 30 pushups but can you do a single one-armed pushup with good form? How about handstand pushups? One armed handstand pushups? One legged squats? One armed pullups? There's lots to do. I am getting bigger and more defined.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    grumpy,
    on your split idea sure. But on the OP's actual idea of doing a full body circuit daily for extended periods???

Waltzes is offline Junior Member
    Well, I'm as open to a splits routine really, if it's a smarter route. Mass gain isn't a goal in this case. Thank you for responding.

john b is offline Junior Member
    here is what i do daily:
    am right after wake up:
    5 sets of push ups 350-450 total
    5 sets pull ups 50-75 total

pm:
    50 burpees for time

7 days a week 15-20 mins total workout time

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Whoa John B, that's a lot of pushups. So, how many can you do in a row without stopping?

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    I would think doing a full body bodyweight routine daily is fine, aas long as you aren't pushing it. D maybe half your max reps or les, one set, just enough to feel the blood start.
    No panting, puffing, grunting, or heavy sweating allowed.
    You could even do less challenging versions of the essential movements: pushups off a waist high object, aussie pullups, etc.
    I used to start the day off with: pushups, aussie pullups (back then we called them supine pullups or reverse pushups) situps, Squat-thrusts, and a short run.
    All of these were done well below capacity. three times a week I did my regular routine (including weights) worked well for me.
    Last edited by 979roadrunner; 09-16-2010 at 01:25 PM.
    I'm not old, I'm Vintage!

john b is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Whoa John B, that's a lot of pushups. So, how many can you do in a row without stopping?
    the first set usually 100-125 depending on the day......... at least 80-85 avg for 5 sets
    pull ups are real tuff after 3 rd st i struggle to get 10-12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast