Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dehydrator love page

Chairdr is offline Senior Member

Dehydrator love

About a month ago I bought a real POS dehydrator from Harbour Freight Ended up $17 between sale & coupon(nice). I wanted to experiment on making jerky. Turns out I fell in love with it, & now ordered a "real" one. I am a huge advocate of quality tools, & If Im plugging in for days on end it only seems natural to get a good one (excaliber 3500). So now I am drying everything insight. Apples with cinnamon, turkey & beef jerkey. The funy part is that Dehydrating was supposed to be for preserving food, My stuff barely stays around long enough to bother putting in a container. I will never buy commercial jerky again. Anybody have anything interesting to add?
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I would love to hear more, as a dehydrator has been 'kind of' on my list for a while now.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    I agree, it's sort of on my radar. Where did you learn to make jerky. I bet there's something on this site but I haven't looked yet.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I couldn't resist, we ordered one with good reviews off of Amazon the other day. It's not here yet though. My husband loves jerky and I figure we can get the super-thin-sliced shabu beef from our local Asian market, and it'll be easy. Just marinade and dry.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    Dehydrators are awesome. Check out the latest pemmican thread and you can see my video series on making it. Super great if you are into stockpiling food.

rozska is offline Senior Member
    Dehydrators *rock*. Have you looked at any of Mary Bell's dehydrator books? She has great recipes, though you do have to make some of them more primal.

I'd also recommend trying both fruit and vegetable leathers. Last weekend I made a pumpkin/applesauce leather. (Used pumpkin pie spices and dried coconut for richness. Yum!) Take any fruit and puree it (add pectin/gelatin if necessary.) Add non-fat yogurt to the fruit to have more protein in a leather, or cottage cheese. As for apples, dip them in pineapple juice to preserve the color as well as give them a lovely tang.
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    I've made my own jerky and such for a long time, but I've never had a dehydrator! I was about 49 seconds away from getting a great one for $2 at a garage sale, but someone snatched it up in front of me. I use my crappy oven-- that pilot light keeps the environment warm and dry. Magic!

I've done beef jerky, lamb jerky, buffalo jerky, salmon jerky, kale chips, blueberries... i can't remember what else! I've never done turkey. I bet its good... but I'm intimidated by poultry-touching.

Whats your favorite way? I like to marinate my meats in Coconut Aminos and then dust them with spices-- usually either five-spice or cocoa+cinnamon!

-写
    Little Saiyan

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    I freeze the protien just for long enough so it becomes firm.Then I slice it about a 1/8-1/4" thick. I use gluten free tamari, crushed garlic & spicy mustard as my marinade (few hours). lay the trips in the dehydrator, than hide the finished product from my kids so I get more. Dont do it to save money. I do it to get good ingredients (frass fed etc) & no sugar or chemicals.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i'm kinda thinking about buying a dehydrator - is excalibur pretty much the way to go?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    i'm kinda thinking about buying a dehydrator - is excalibur pretty much the way to go?
    I have a nesco american harvest and I really like it. I guess the flat trays in the Excalibur are nice though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast