Thread: Interesting Short TED video on Sleep page

livewire516 is offline Junior Member

Interesting Short TED video on Sleep

Primal Fuel
    http://www.ted.com/talks/jessa_gamble_how_to_sleep.html

The above link talks about how light and culture affects sleep, she even mentions that a natural sleep cycle seems to have people falling asleep around 8pm until 12pm at which they awake and maintain a 2 hour, pseudo-meditative state, before falling asleep again until sunrise. She claims that people who try this type of sleep remark at actually feeling awake for the first time!

I definitely would like to find more info about this. Any comments or ideas?

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Hi LiveWire,

I agree it is a very interesting topic. Check out this article I posted a while ago:
    Pre-Industrial Sleep and The Watching Hour

Joe
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Or we could use the method of staying awake for 2 days at a time and getting so tired that we slip and fall down the stairs, hit our heads and remain unconscious for a full day. Either way it is 1/3 of our lives sleeping.

I wonder why I haven't got a TED talk yet.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I <3 sleep.

Off to do that now.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

livewire516 is offline Junior Member
    As a college student, I think I may have to put this on the back burner. Even top notch ear plugs are no match when the neighbor's bass is so strong the desk is thumping. Price I pay for going to a party school. Besides which I'm not going to stop going out on Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights until a graduate; my sleep schedule will have to remain less than synced because the social cost of turning in early is just too high.

But it was interesting nonetheless, and Joe I also enjoyed your article, thanks.

venam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire516 View Post
    As a college student, I think I may have to put this on the back burner. Even top notch ear plugs are no match when the neighbor's bass is so strong the desk is thumping. Price I pay for going to a party school. Besides which I'm not going to stop going out on Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights until a graduate; my sleep schedule will have to remain less than synced because the social cost of turning in early is just too high.

But it was interesting nonetheless, and Joe I also enjoyed your article, thanks.
    I attend UF so I know what you are talking about. I realized that there will always be an excuse to not fix my sleeping schedule, so I am trying to fix this in a manageable way. I haven't come up with a solution yet, any ideas?