Thread: Hello from a shy grokette in Florida page

jcard is offline Member

Smile Hello from a shy grokette in Florida

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello. I've been lurking here for several months. I'm the shy type so I haven't posted but once but I wanted to say hello and say what a difference being primal is making in my life.

I started the year at 200lbs and in a tight size 18 pair of relaxed fit jeans. (My all time highest was 230lbs and a size 22.) At only 5'4 you can probably imagine how bad I felt about myself. When I saw pics of myself from the New Year's Eve party, I decided that I was going to lose weight. On May 30, 2009 I quit smoking and July 6, 2009 I quit drinking and I figure if I could do that, I could do anything.

I started the weight loss by cutting calories. I didn't really know where to start so I googled and found out about BMR and figured that I should be keeping my diet to about 1000-1200 calories. I started losing but felt faint much of the time and had episodes of low blood sugar all day long. I had to pack snacks to go anywhere. Thankfully, I did more research and learned that I was starving my body. I started tracking with daily plate and brought my calories up to 1500-1700 with about 200g of carbs each day and started lifting weights.

The weight loss was slow but my body was changing for the better. Eventually though, I hit the wall and was so low energy that I didn't see how I could keep the workouts going. In frustration I hit google again and found Mark's Daily Apple. I read, and lurked and ordered the book and at the end of June I started going primal. I won't lie. The first two weeks sucked but after I adjusted, I started to see improvements.

I didn't have low blood sugar anymore. I eased up on the workouts and started seeing drastic changes in my body composition. The best part is I have had heat induced hives for 15 years and since cutting out the wheat and sugar, my hives are gone. I can't tell you how much that has changed my life living here in Florida.

I'm now down to 170lbs and I wear a size 12 jeans. Those jeans were my goal jeans but now I see that being primal I can achieve more and be even healthier. That's great but nothing compared to how healthy I feel. My husband and daughter have gone mostly primal and they are gaining health and losing weight too. We are an active family now and that is something I never thought we would achieve.

I am so grateful to have discovered Primal Blueprint. I just wanted to share that. Thanks for reading. =)

Primal K@ is offline Member
    Thanks so much for sharing! What a wonderful primal story. Good luck to you and your family in continuing this fantastic lifestyle!

batty is offline Senior Member
    +1 on the thank you. i love reading these stories. and you should post more often.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

shannon is offline Senior Member
    welcome, no need to be shy;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

jcard is offline Member
    Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to lurking less and posting more. =)

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Great story...thanks for sharing it. Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the the PB forums. Hope to read more posts from you.

delmoki is offline Junior Member
    What a great story! You're right. If you can quit smoking and drinking, you can do anything! ;-)