Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: for my fellow grokettes... page 12

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow, what an awesome thread. I weigh 99kg (217Ibs) and wear an American size 12.

I had my bodyfat measured the other day and worked out that if I can get to 25% bodyfat I will still be 80kgs which is 6kgs heavier than the top end of normal on the BMI chart for my height.

I really need to let go of the scale as a measure of my success, I remember being the heaviest girl in my class all through school and I was lean!

I don't seem to be able to stop myself jumping on the effing things every morning though
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 10-22-2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Too many Norcal Marguaritas

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by momofredheads View Post
    Thanks!! I think I need to be reminded of this ummmmm EVERY DAY LOL!!
    Total agreement. Every day!!!

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea how much I weigh. I haven't weighed myself in over a year.
    HOWEVER, I do know that I'm at about 21-20% BF (which is fine by me), I recently bought pants and they were a size down from what I had been wearing for a couple years prior, I can do 2 consecutive pullups (a year ago, couldn't do any), and I can hike 6 miles with a 60lb pack in about 4 hours.
    I think I'm doing alright

Also, I can see definition of the muscles in my arm when I lift
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sf40 View Post
    I don't care what the scale says. Instead, I want to be less fat, I want to wear a smaller clothing size, I want to be healthy. The number on the scale does not necessarily correlate with those.
    Seconded (both you and Batty and so many others in this thread.)

I feel like I'm really lucky because actually my body image and confidence is high (maybe too high! Look how outta-shape I was before I got pregnant...) So post-baby when I'm trying to get in shape, I might use the scale as one of several ways to measure but the end number, whatever it is, won't bother me.

I mean, back when I was my most badass as a martial artist I was like 160 lbs. (5 ft 5) Could I have lost more weight? Probably, but I was so happy with how I felt and looked. Everybody guessed I was maybe 130 pounds max, which I found amusing. I've always gained muscle easily and have a lot of muscle by default even when not training (I can leg press over 1K without training... when I'm in shape, the whole stack...)

So I may never be Linda Hamilton slim-and-buff, and I can't _fathom_ ever being as slender as my half-elf husband, but I can certainly be buff. Why not. :D Can't wait!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    grokettes, i implore you to really, really look at how you view yourself, your body, and your goals while doing this challenge. just losing weight is great, but there is so much more to this lifestyle than just losing weight.
    do NOT base your self worth, progress, IQ, ability to play scrabble, or whatever else, on whatever number that scale tells you. you are not that number. that number going down *can* be good, but it doesn't tell the whole story.
    muscle is good. you want muscle. build it.
    i love food. food is awesome. i like to eat it.
    it's hard, i know it is - especially when you are bombarded by all the CW crap about females having to be skinny, and the only way to look good is to weigh as little as possible.
    it's crap.
    i ask that y'all *really* think about your goals and how you measure your progress. use the scale, sure - but find something else to complement that. take measurements with a tape measure, or buy some body fat calipers online - they're cheap. or, just find a pair of pants and track how they fit from week to week.
    focus on the PB principles. eat your food. lift heavy things. build muscle. don't worry about the scale so much. everything else will fall into place.
    Thank you for this Batty.

Really. Thank you.

It has shifted my attitude, my goals and my motivation.

It has shifted everything.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Wow, what an awesome thread. I weigh 99kg (217Ibs) and wear an American size 12.

I had my bodyfat measured the other day and worked out that if I can get to 25% bodyfat I will still be 80kgs which is 6kgs heavier than the top end of normal on the BMI chart for my height.

I really need to let go of the scale as a measure of my success, I remember being the heaviest girl in my class all through school and I was lean!

I don't seem to be able to stop myself jumping on the effing things every morning though

I weigh 156# and wear an American size 14, you must be rocking a LOT of muscle. My current BF% by impedance is 28% and by tape measure is 24.8%.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    I weigh 156# and wear an American size 14, you must be rocking a LOT of muscle. My current BF% by impedance is 28% and by tape measure is 24.8%.
    I am going by my Aussie size put through a conversion program, so that may be incorrect. I do have a very muscular frame and I think I have lead instead of bone marrow, I was heavy even when I had no excess fat. I have a hip to waist ratio of 0.7 which is supposed to be pretty healthy.

Don't get me wrong, I still have a fair bit of fat to lose, but my weight does not represent how much and I'm sick of my GP telling me I'm obese when I'm only one size bigger than her!!
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 10-29-2010 at 01:29 AM.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    I am going by my Aussie size put through a conversion program, so that may be incorrect. I do have a very muscular frame and I think I have lead instead of bone marrow, I was heavy even when I had no excess fat. I have a hip to waist ratio of 0.7 which is supposed to be pretty healthy.

Don't get me wrong, I still have a fair bit of fat to lose, but my weight does not represent how much and I'm sick of my GP telling me I'm obese when I'm only one size bigger than her!!
    That makes me seriously mad. Your total weight shouldn't be a measure of anything other than itself. You know you have that precious, healthy muscle mass (that skinny people like me can never achieve) and she's telling you to waste it away because the BMI equation tells her you're 'obese'?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcule View Post
    she's telling you to waste it away because the BMI equation tells her you're 'obese'?
    Probably the same type of doctor who will start saying dismissive things like, "Well, you are getting older" or "Well, you are in menopause" and does nothing when you present with interesting symptoms that deserve more analysis.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Oh no! It is very possible that the conversion is correct. I am one of those people that ALWAYS wears a larger size then my weight and height says Ishould. When I was younger it lead me to think I was fat, when I was not. It is because I have a very short torso, so my hip to waist ratio is a disaster. My waist is 32.5 inches at the natural part of my wais, which is at the bottom of my rib cage. I have only about 2 inches between teh top of my hip and my ribs!

At 128 pounds, coming out of basic training, having gained at least 3 pounds of lean mass, maybe even more because I lost inches so I lost body fat too. I wieghed 125 going it, lost inches and gained muscle to wiegh 128 eight weeks later. I wore a size 11/12 going in and a 9/10 coming out. At 66 inches most people that are 128 pounds or less wear a size 3/4, or maybe a 4/5. Talik about distorting my view of myself. I wore 'fat girl' sizes for a teen, yet weighed less than my friend who wa snot only shorter, but also was not athletic at all. I look back on those pictures and think I was almost TOO skinny! Oh to be that 'fat' again, what a dream...lol

Luckily I have come to realize that it is okay to wear those sizes. It is no longer my goal to wear a size 4 jeans, or something crazy like that. My sole goal is to have 20% body fat. I want to be 'athletic' and 20% is the cut off for that. I can manage that. Heck, if I keep my pace of 1% very 30 days or so, I can acheive that by this summer! Go me!!!

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast