Thread: A question about menstruation page

Finine is offline Junior Member

A question about menstruation

This is my first post, sorry to be such an icky topic.

I started PB eating on Sept 1. I am now having my first menstruation since that time, and it is a really rough one. Mainly the cramps, but I am also feeling especially wiped out. This is unusual, my last few periods were fairly light so maybe my body is just making up for it? Coincidence?

FWIW, a typical day for me is roughly 1600 cals, 90g carbs, 95g fat and 90g protein (I am 40 y/o, 5' 7" and weigh 184), I know I need to be eating a bit more protein but I tend to gravitate more toward fruit & veggies and dairy. I have not been exercising the past 3-4 weeks, I am dealing with some ongoing fatigue and all the tests my doctor has run have come back normal so he believes it is related to poor sleep.

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Likely you are still going through a bit of the 'carb flu' ... I have noticed a dramatic (as in life-changing!) reduction in mood alteration and physical pain before/during my period, but it did take a couple of months. I guess I'd been primal 2-3 months when I realized that I didn't have PMS when I was "supposed" to, and my period snuck up on me with no cramps at all - almost had an 'incident' at work . I've been primal for 6 months now and flow is a little lighter than it used to be but not dramatically (I'm 44 and about the same weight as you).

I think you just need to be patient, sorry LOL

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I think I would wait at least two more months before being able to draw a conclusion. It just takes too long, and it's too easy for coincidence to step in.
    I'm only one month in and didn't experience any extra tiredness. Maybe a little less pain, but not by much.

redtoycar is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started right around the same time as you. My period came a week early, and is very heavy, which is unusual. I've also been fatigued and have been craving carbs at times. Prior to the surprise period, I was feeling great, with more energy. Overall, I've had less anxiety and less depression, and I still feel way better than before I started, so I'm staying primal.