Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do all VFFs have a very stiff piece that pushes against the back of the heel? page

lizch is offline Senior Member

Do all VFFs have a very stiff piece that pushes against the back of the heel?

Primal Fuel
    I'm really bummed today. Starting about 3 days ago, I started having pain in the back of my heel (right where that bump of bone is) when wearing my VFF Classics. It was OK....hurt a bit to walk, didn't hurt at all to run. Today, it hurts just to have VFFs on

I googled it, and it sounds exactly like Haglunds Deformity:

"Haglund’s deformity is often called “pump bump” because the rigid backs of pump-style shoes can create pressure that aggravates the enlargement when walking. In fact, any shoes with a rigid back, such as ice skates, men’s dress shoes, or women’s pumps, can cause this irritation."

Do all styles of VFF have that really stiff spine up the back? I'm going to be so sad if I have to stop wearing them--they feel fantastic otherwise. I also wonder about going up one size and getting Sprints so they aren't held on just by tension.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Oh, and as a follow up question...if I can't wear the VFFs for a while, what should I wear instead? I could switch to regular workout shoes or I could wear sandals (Eccos). In some scenarios, I may be able to go literally barefoot, but not sure that's practical all the time!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Jacques is offline Member
    You could also try some Evo Terra Plana shoes.

Are you sure it's not just rubbing in a spot you're not used to?

I'm sure. That bony bit is noticeably swollen compared to the other foot. It's totally unblistered/no abrasions. And these VFFs fit so darned snug that there's no way I could get any kind of rubbing effect. I think it's purely a pressure issue.

I took a look at the EVOs....man, that's one expensive shoe! $160! That would be more than I have ever spent on a pair of footwear, which is kinda ironic given that it's supposed to mimic barefoot
    Liz.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    I don't think the KSO's have that thing up the heel. My wife tried on some VFF's and refused to even buy them because of what you are talking about. My own VFF's are the KSO's, which are different in the back. They didn't have the KSO's in her size to try on, so I can't say for sure they'd be OK for her, but I'm hoping they will be. But I think the KSO style might be the answer. I won't know for sure until she tries them on. In any case, they are fine for me.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the sprints have a pretty flexible heel--just neoprene and a couple of velcro straps to tighten them. if you can't wear your classics, it might be worth your while to see if the store you bought them would be willing to switch them out for a pair of sprints or kso's.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I second the KSO's. I own a pair and I believe the heel is softer than my classics. It has a tight band at the top, but not the straight boney thing. I also think the one's of kangaroo leather (performa's, I believe?) don't have that. They are supple and light like ballet slippers! But they're not really designed for active wear, more indoor/casual walking type stuff.

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I'm sure. That bony bit is noticeably swollen compared to the other foot. It's totally unblistered/no abrasions. And these VFFs fit so darned snug that there's no way I could get any kind of rubbing effect. I think it's purely a pressure issue.

I took a look at the EVOs....man, that's one expensive shoe! $160! That would be more than I have ever spent on a pair of footwear, which is kinda ironic given that it's supposed to mimic barefoot
    I have 2 pair, Aqua's and the Dharma sign up for mailing list, they send % off emails on a regular basis, between 30% and 50% if you are patient.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

critta is offline Senior Member
    I would say try going up a size or switching to the KSO/Sprints the classics are the only ones that I know of that fasten behind the heel. I had some achilles tendon soreness which i realized was because my first pair of KSOs were too small and pushing on the tendon.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What a great tip, Kev. One of the coupon sites had a coupon for 50% off that expired two days ago. So I've signed up for Terra Plana's newsletter and will await the next coupon.

And in the meantime, I'll go try on some Sprints at REI.
    Liz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast