Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lower sex drive on a low-carb diet? page 2

Shop Now

You may not be eating enough fat. The body will find, um, alternate ways to conserve energy if you are not taking enough in.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Wow, okay, I'll take your word for it. There are so many studies out there saying that the brain can't function without carbs and yada yada.

PrimalJewishA, I am having around 100 grams of fat per day. Note though, that I am also on a low calorie (1,700) diet to lose weight faster.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I wanted to post the same thread! But I think James is right, you could be overly preoccupied with other things. Once I set my mind on it, I&#39;m good.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Jess, so you&#39;ve had the same problem? I am a very carefree person at the moment so I don&#39;t know if that applies to me. But it may, and I am not even aware.

Anyways, my memory will surely be put to test when I start taking the japanese class. If there is a notable improvement, I will definitely report on it! I don&#39;t know when my sex drive will be put to test though, haha.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Mick Guest

[quote]

There are so many studies out there saying that the brain can&#39;t function without carbs and yada yada.</blockquote>

Did it not function for the Eskimo? Did it not for many North American Indians?

People in both these groups ate up to 80% of their calories in the form of fat. If their brains weren&#39;t functioning, they couldn&#39;t have got through life. I&#39;m not saying that everyone needs to be eating "macronutrients" in that particular proportion - just that there are populations that have eaten almost no carbohydrate and done just fine. In fact they&#39;ve had generally better health (and - who knows? - possibly better mental functioning, too*) than the average person in our society.

I&#39;d say a laboratory "study" is useless if it&#39;s falsified by real-world facts.

* Always remembering that anyone can only think inside the terms that are current in his own society - unless, perhaps, he&#39;s some kind of rare genius. So while your biochemistry may be optimal, if you haven&#39;t had certain life-experiences, and haven&#39;t been able to learn what others have found, your abilities in certain areas will be underdeveloped.

grandma is offline Member

"Luckily for the study subjects, "memory performance returned to normal when we re introduced carbohydrates in the second week of the study," said Taylor. A piece of fruit or one- quarter of a slice of bread seemed to be enough."

If you are worried about it, just make sure you are getting some carbs. Read marks suggestion about the carbs here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Agnieszka Guest

Since I started on primal about 3 weeks ago, my sex drive has kicked into high gear.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Saturated fats help increase testosterone, so I&#39;ve recently read. Good for both men and women, kicking that drive into overdrive!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Agnieszka,

Me, too. Wow!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I&#39;ve also had the opposite happen. Fun stuff.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast