Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me sleep! page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

Help me sleep!

Shop Now
    Hey everyone. I've been on Primal for about 2 weeks now. For the last three nights, more or less, I have not been able to sleep. As in I am not getting tired and am staring at my wall for most of the night. My eyes get a little sleepy but then my mind keeps going. I haven't had any caffeine for the last three days and am eating 100% primal. Is this some sort of side effect in adjusting that my body is doing?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you might just have more energy than you're used to, but it might also have to do with light, sound, the pattern of your evening, positioning, etc.

check out what mark has to teach us about sleep:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-d...uide-to-sleep/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-l...cts-our-sleep/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sleep-posture/

doghead is offline Senior Member
    I can only speak from experience, but when I first switched, I realized I could stay up longer - my body was just full of energy, and I was could stay up a couple hours extra without much problem - go to sleep and wake up at the same time.

Maybe try upping your exercise so you are a little more tired?
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

gator70 is offline Member
    I imagine that metabolism changes are the most likely culprit. I know on very low to no carb days my body core temp runs a bit high at night when I am sleeping. I like to think it's just nastiness leaving the body! I would give it a few days to work itself out.

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by afsjesse View Post
    Hey everyone. I've been on Primal for about 2 weeks now. For the last three nights, more or less, I have not been able to sleep. As in I am not getting tired and am staring at my wall for most of the night. My eyes get a little sleepy but then my mind keeps going. I haven't had any caffeine for the last three days and am eating 100% primal. Is this some sort of side effect in adjusting that my body is doing?
    Hi Jesse. I remember the same exact effect 2 weeks in. Knowing you were tired and somewhat heavy eyes, but super alert and unable to sleep.

It passes. It took about 2-3 weeks to fade for me. Also, around the end of the insomnia fade (say about 4 weeks in) that was when I hit my "irritable" phase where the whole world annoyed me and I felt excessively reactionary. That lasted 2-3 weeks also.

I feel like they were both the same cause - transitioning through various metabolic changes in my body after dumping the Standard American Diet of hundreds of carbs and going Primal down to say 100 grams of carb/day.

What helped was one 12 ounce (18 grams of carb) glass of milk when I hit the insomnia or irritability. It all seemed to go away after 6 -8 weeks in.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Eteric is offline Member
    Heh, right now I can do nothing but sleep. Went to bed, woke up this morning, took a 30 minute walk, went back to bed and woke up at 5 PM. :O

Hopefully as time passes my body will sort this out.

Ironically, my legs felt like lead the day before. But when I woke up, my legs felt great. I guess my body needed time to do the proper repairs.
    Last edited by Eteric; 09-15-2010 at 07:26 PM.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It passes. It took about 2-3 weeks to fade for me. Also, around the end of the insomnia fade (say about 4 weeks in) that was when I hit my "irritable" phase where the whole world annoyed me and I felt excessively reactionary. That lasted 2-3 weeks also.
    +1. Except that for me that sleep thing took 8 weeks to resolve. 8 freaking weeks. And as the sleep deprivation worsened, my anxiety ramped up. it was a pretty brutal 8 weeks in many ways. Thankfully, life at the time was full of happy, good and light...butterflies and unicorns and all that. lol So I was tolerating it fairly well.

Then it passed.

Extra magnesium can be helpful but may or may not resolve it.

My brother theorizes that it's just taking the liver awhile to ramp up production of the amount of enzymes we now need for gluconeogenesis v. the amount we previously needed. And until that system is firing on all cylinders, our adrenals are kicking out cortisol to try to get it going.

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks...nal/gluco.html
    Effects on Metabolism
    The name glucocorticoid derives from early observations that these hormones were involved in glucose metabolism. In the fasted state, cortisol stimulates several processes that collectively serve to increase and maintain normal concentrations of glucose in blood. These effects include:

• Stimulation of gluconeogenesis, particularly in the liver: This pathway results in the synthesis of glucose from non-hexose substrates such as amino acids and lipids and is particularly important in carnivores and certain herbivores. Enhancing the expression of enzymes involved in gluconeogenesis is probably the best known metabolic function of glucocorticoids.
    • Mobilization of amino acids from extrahepatic tissues: These serve as substrates for gluconeogenesis.
    • Inhibition of glucose uptake in muscle and adipose tissue: A mechanism to conserve glucose.
    • Stimulation of fat breakdown in adipose tissue: The fatty acids released by lipolysis are used for production of energy in tissues like muscle, and the released glycerol provide another substrate for gluconeogenesis.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

robss is offline Senior Member
    I used to have the same problem, and sometiems still do. But now I sleep better than I did before I was primal. If it doesn't work itself out, maybe try some magnesium or melatonin before bed. There are a couple threads on here about supplements and doses that help you sleep.
    What will still keep me up sometimes is if I eat a lot right before bed.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i agree with the adjustment period, personally i like the feeling!! weirdo i guess;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

melodious is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    It was like that for me, too, a couple of weeks in. Massively irritating. I had no idea what was causing it. It passed after one or two really annoying weeks. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast