Thread: Right I'm gonna do it - I'm GOING OUT!! Help with sprinting gait, please! page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Right I'm gonna do it - I'm GOING OUT!! Help with sprinting gait, please!

Shop Now
    Right, I spent the morning attempting to follow the strength exercises for ladies (until Mother complained I was making dirty marks on the walls - she 'caught' me whilst I was doing wall pushups, which I don't find hard, which means I must be doing 'em wrong (I've watched all the videos but I don't a laptop at the moment, and the main Mac's in the front room, where there isn't a convenient wall).

I thought I'd go sprinting between the running markers on the path on the common - there's just one problem with this: - I have a severe congenital knee deformity; if you imagine my legs as an reversed letter K, you'll get the idea - my left knee points inwards towards my right which means I'm a member of the Minstry of Silly Runs!

When I was a year old, I had it operated on (basically they fitted me with a steel frame, with pins in the knee, which were turned 0.25" every week in an attempt to force it back into its natural position) After that, I was in a full body cast (well up to my chest anyway) until I started full-time school.

If it was efficacious, then it must have been to a very minor degree because to this day my left leg kicks out at almost 45-degrees when I run (occasionally I kick meself in me own arse!) and I can feel the knee twisting.

I don't have a GP (what you'd call physician in the US) at the moment (long story) but, the last time I did, I asked about having it operated on again (after all it is 35 years since the last time and I'd have hoped things would have improved technology-wise since then!). He refused to even refer me to an orthopaedic consultant, saying that was as good as it was going to get!

I have a proper orthopaedic knee support, but it doesn't really help matters (just means the knee doesn't twist as much).

I daresay I'm the only one here with such a deformity, but I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice...

Cheers dudes!

Sarah xxx
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Wow. My main and in fact only suggestion would be to try another GP, because it sounds like your last one was a total knob.
    'Scuse my Korean.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    Wow. My main and in fact only suggestion would be to try another GP, because it sounds like your last one was a total knob.
    'Scuse my Korean.

This is Bucks, dahling! ALL GPs round here are total knobs! I've been blacklisted by the PCT, too (for reasons I don't want to go into in public, but I can assure you the PCT is also staffed by total knobs).

I'm going to have to wait until i can return to Scouseville see if I have more luck there (unfortunately, my lack of a GP here is preventing that from happening at the moment!)

Whereabouts in Cheshire are you, by the way? Wirral side or Merseyside side? Any chance of you heading over to Eastham and nuking my ex...? He won't me missed - he's a waste of oxygen (50 spliffs a day habit and a more textbook case of cannabis psychosis I've yet to encounter (he's always claimed it doesn't exist; apparently it was invented by the last govt as an excuse for reclassification)).

Right I am STILL going for a tramp round the camp!

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...