Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might as Well Jump! page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Might as Well Jump!

Primal Fuel
    Hey Gang - Check out my newest blog post about precision jumping.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I'm impressed as hell when I see other people doing that, but to do it myself? Scares the crap out of me! I've never been good at judging distances, and it would just be a matter of time before I busted something.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Good stuff. I will have to try that. I have incorporated some squat jumps into my routine, and they really work your whole body.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I love the idea of precision jumping and parkour--but it terrifies me. Whenever I practice a little something in public, my husband does it first so I can tell myself it's possible, haha.

If you are scared to try precision jumps, start with a short distance (2 or 3 feet) in order to build up your confidence. Like I say in the blog post, don't try too much too soon. It is best to begin practicing with distances that you can cover without any hesitation.

I recently tried some parkour with one of my clients. She was a bit nervous at first but once she saw that she could do it then she wasn't so afraid. With practice, that confidence can start to carry over into all aspects of life!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I try to build that into my box jumps. If I don't land on the box or stick the dismount, I don't count the rep. Since I wear a weight vest, I have a huge incentive to get it right! I haven't tried distance, I think my box is too high for that.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Haha, I love how happy you always look in your videos.... I'm wondering... What does a week of exercise look for YOU?

Abu - Take off the vest if you want to go for distance.

Jess - My current program involves a lot of swimming. Not because I think swimming is the best exercise, but rather because I am a weak swimmer and I need a lot of practice to get better. I want to do a triathlon in 2011 (very unprimal of me, I know).

So this week I swam 4 times, ran once, did a gymnastics class and did one day of bodyweight strength training. Plus I've been stretching a lot to try to improve my shoulder mobility (goes along with working towards improving my swimming. I also live in a 4th floor walk up so I go up and down lots of stairs every day!

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Interesting... No lifting iron??? I assumed you would do a lot more training!

I haven't lifted weights in a long time, other than the occasional kettlebell session (and moving my own bodyweight). However, I am proponent of weight training. I did weights 3-5x a week for over ten years but I've been bored with it for a while now.

I also grease the groove on pistol squats and one arm push-ups and pull-ups, throwing in a rep or two here and there throughout the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast