Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accelerating fat loss - carbs < 50g per day page

atc
    atc is offline Junior Member

Red face Accelerating fat loss - carbs < 50g per day

Primal Fuel
    Hi all!

This is my first post, so please be nice I've not yet learnt all the necessary customs and the like

I am an avid weight lifter and general sports enthusiast with an healthy obsession with nutrition and more specifically shedding body fat safely and healthily.

I am a 5'6", 63KG / 138.8 lbs, 25 year old male who's lost nearly 3 st / 19 kg / 42 lbs and I'm trying to get rid of a shrinking beer belly. I am currently restricting carbs to <= 50g a day and am eating a mixed diet of meats, fish, nuts and seeds. I consume little to no sugar (little as in the rare treat at a birthday, if at all) and don't eat grains. Heavily primal, if you will.

A breakdown of my typical food consumption and workout routine is below, but first some questions

My concerns are the following:
    • To restrict to < 50g carbs a day when your only carbs are veg seems to be desperate - I am having *tiny* portions of veg and occasionally some fruit; I read of 'hearty lunchtime salads' but cannot fathom how these people are restricting to 50g of carbs from a large salad. Are my portions all wrong or is restricting to 50g carbs really this limiting veg wise?
    • I target my carbs around workout - I use graze.com dried fruits or nuts/seeds just before and just after, and then maybe have steamed broccoli & carrots in the evening with lots of protein. Am I eating too little here?
    • I don't eat carbs in the morning. Sometimes I'll have a mushroom or two with my omelette, but nothing large or heavy carb wise; is this a good idea?

My diet:
    Mornings: an omelet of 2 eggs + 2 egg whites, with 3-5 bacon or 1 fillet of mackerel or kipper. * on the mornings after the gym, I'll have a whey protein shake too
    Lunch: meat with 1 or 2 boiled eggs or mackerel with small portions of salad - beetroot, carrot (shaved), sweetcorn or green beans.
    Dinner: meat or fish with steamed veg, again small portions to stick to < 50g carbs a day and just before bed I'll have some cottage cheese with cinnamon and vanilla extract.

Pre and post workout I have dried fruits from graze.com to get me going, with a whey protein shake.

My long term goal: cut as much body fat to not have a belly when I relax my stomach i.e. see my abs; currently my belly & lower back are where my fat is. Very little elsewhere.

Am I being healthy? When I feel I've not eaten enough fruit I'll have a multivitamin just in case; not grok-like sure, but safest no doubt.

Any replies or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Don't count fiber.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2359/2

50g of total carb from broccoli is 5 cups.
    Active carb(total - fiber) 50 g is 12.5 cups!

50g active carb from iceberg lettuce is over 3 large heads

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    actually you could eat a mountain of leafy greens and stay under 50 g. Now the dried fruit on the other hand is nothing more than health store candy. I would ditch that right away. Also, i saw you listed sweet corn as part of your meal. Corn is a grain, toss that as well. With your eggs, why the egg whites? Just eat 4 eggs, or add in extra yolks not the whites. But the dried fruit and corn alone will put you over 50 g. and corn is a cardinal sin around here. If you haven't read The Primal Blueprint yet, I would start there. Also go to the main site and read all of Mark's blog archives, there is a ton of info there.

Good luck.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    What is "sweetcorn"?. From what you've said, it seems like you know to avoid grains. Maybe it's a term that I'm not familiar with, but where I'm from, it refers to a type of maize. Anyway, other than sweetcorn, your diet looks good, but maybe kinda low in calories overall. I guess that's fine if you're trying to lose some weight though.

atc
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    Don't count fiber.

I don't count fiber, and I've weighed my portions. My insecurity is the guess-work I'm doing from the portions at work from the salad bar there. I'll need to do some better weighing up at home for homemade salads I think, that'll stop my guessing (which is always bad!).

Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    actually you could eat a mountain of leafy greens and stay under 50 g. Now the dried fruit on the other hand is nothing more than health store candy. I would ditch that right away. Also, i saw you listed sweet corn as part of your meal. Corn is a grain, toss that as well. With your eggs, why the egg whites? Just eat 4 eggs, or add in extra yolks not the whites. But the dried fruit and corn alone will put you over 50 g. and corn is a cardinal sin around here. If you haven't read The Primal Blueprint yet, I would start there. Also go to the main site and read all of Mark's blog archives, there is a ton of info there.

Good luck.
    Argh, I hadn't thought of bloomin' sweetcorn, thanks for pointing that out! I've eliminated all grains - everything from rice to flour, to cous cous - but somehow stupidly missed that glaring problem! I've read a lot of info on this blog but perhaps a good read of the book would help. Thanks for the heads up. Ahh, and the eggs thing is that 4 eggs in the morning would potentially be too much fat for me, I'm quite short and wouldn't want to be full right up until lunch as I'd like to hit ketosis at some point to ensure I'm burning fat.

Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by atc; 09-15-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Dannielle is offline Senior Member
    Wait...you're weighing? As in 50g on a scale?

Nope, not 50g by weight....go by the food labels. It's about calories, not weight. 50g of carbs is 200 calories worth of carbs.

atc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    Wait...you're weighing? As in 50g on a scale?

Nope, not 50g by weight....go by the food labels. It's about calories, not weight. 50g of carbs is 200 calories worth of carbs.
    Yes I'm weighing. For instance, I'll get my plate, zero the scales (digital), and then put some broccoli on - a couple of 'trees' - and then lookup the equivalent carb content for that amount on fatsecret/google/wolframalpha. So if two trees weighs in at 15g, I'll lookup nutritional information for 15g of broccoli and then see how many carbs that contains.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    Don't count fiber.

He's in the UK (next county over from me) our NI labels are completely different from yours - when you read a UK label, you DO NOT need to subract the fibre, as it is NOT included in the amount of carbs shown. In other words, take a really fibrous vegetable, say parsnips:-

The carbs info would look something like this (this is per 100g)

Carbohydrate: - 12.5g
    of which sugars: - 5.7g

Further down, you'll see the fibre (in this case 4.6g). This is NOT included in the carbs, so the figure next to where it says carbs is the NET carbs - nothing needs to be subtracted (f it included the carbs, the carbohydrate amount would read 17.1g, and the fibre amount listed next to fibre would then need to be subracted).

The reason for this is there is no nutritive value in fibre, therefore the Department of Health decreed that it shouldn't be included in the total carbohydrate amount (which is pretty sensible when you think about it...)

Does that make sense...?
    La tristesse durera toujours...

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    You can eat all the fat you want and it wont affect going into ketosis. Ketosis has to do with your carbs. The fat will keep from from feeling hungry, and there's nothing wrong with skipping a meal or 2(or 3). But then again I'm one of the guys who actually enjoys a long fast, so that could be me.

atc
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    You can eat all the fat you want and it wont affect going into ketosis. Ketosis has to do with your carbs. The fat will keep from from feeling hungry, and there's nothing wrong with skipping a meal or 2(or 3). But then again I'm one of the guys who actually enjoys a long fast, so that could be me.
    Fair point, but then it can boost my total caloric consumption for that day beyond the 2k mark for maintenance-500 to further encourage fat loss. Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast