Thread: Sunflower Seed Addiction page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Sunflower Seed Addiction

My co-worker has been steadily eating more and more sunflower seeds each day. Yesterday he was constantly eating them throughout the day. I think he took a one hour break. I worked from home today and let my boss know about it since it seemed inconsiderate of him to be snacking all day long while I'm trying to concentrate on my work.

Anyway, I was just wondering what makes sunflower seeds so addictive? And what kind of health problems will he have from eating so many of them every day?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Is your co-worker maybe trying to quit smoking?
    Just wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    Is your co-worker maybe trying to quit smoking?
    Just wondering...
    No, he is a relatively healthy guy for a grain eater (he exercises, limits his refined sugars and he used to eat fruit every day before his seed eating binge.) I think he got the idea from me that seeds were healthy and he started eating those salted sunflower ones.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what makes them so addictive but in potato chips it is salt and omega 6 linoleic acid as well, so that would be where I would start the search. You could search wholehealthsource or any of Bill Lands' work for the ill-effects of superfluous omega 6 fatty acids. Everything from heart disease to diabeties to cancer and obesity can be in part blamed on omega 6, whether it comes from soy oil or nuts and seeds. It is just that most people eat a -reasonable- amount of them. A lot of people would rather smoke than eat tons of omega 6. High smoking rates in Kitava and France haven't seemed to make them more susceptible to disease than places that love their "heart-healthy" omega 6 fats and smoke less.

http://omega-6-omega-3-balance.omega...ic%20Acid.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgU3cNppzO0

*swoon*
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I went to work today and my co-worker didn't eat a single seed! I guess my boss let him know how unhealthy it was.