Thread: clam shells page

shannon is offline Senior Member

clam shells

is it possible to make stock from clam shells? i have eaten the clams already but have 15 huge shells left that i don't want to waste. mmm...
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    The water you cooked them in is the stock you seek. When they are done, some use it to clean the clams before dipping in butter. Some also save a cup aside to drink with the meal as I do. Bottom line, it should be saved for making New England Clam Chowder!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

i was thinking more along the lines of taking the shells and putting them in a crock pot overnight with veggies and water(like any other meat stock).
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    No need, you extracted much of the goodness the first time while the meat was inside the shell, not much else to get after the initial steam.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I suppose you could always try dissolving them in vinegar, then add that to meals - any minerals in the shell would then end up in food. I'm sure I remember reading that some famous historical figure used to do this with pearls and drink them...

thanks, i figured the minerals in the shell would be worth using;-)

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sometimes people want to neutralize the acids in tomato sauce because it gives them heartburn.

You can neutralize the acids in tomato sauce by putting clam or oyster shells into the sauce as you heat it. (The shells will be bleached white when you remove them).

Oyster / Clam shells are mostly made of calcium carbonate which is the same thing as what is in TUMS.

You can probably get some calcium in soup by boiling clam shells in the soup the same way you would boil a soup bone. Your soup will need to be acidic though.