Thread: Australia may have taken a step in the right direction? page

Tarlach is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Seems that diets may have to prove to be effective to be allowed to continue.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25949302-421,00.html

This could spell the end of Weight Watchers and other useless diets as they don't do anything:

http://www.raisin-hell.com/2009/08/fat-chance-of-diet-regulation-but-well.html

Looks like paleo, low-carb and the PB might be in with a chance

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

As liberal as I am, I can't see this as a good thing. Too many variables to decide good from bad. In a nutshell, that is the big problem in most nutrition research, too many variables.

Your own home diets are perfectly safe, of course.

Mick Guest

There's obviously a debate about whether that would be desirable or not. Some of us are always wary of more legislation, let alone direct government interference in civil society, and for sound reasons.

Of course any "goods" one buys should do what they're promised to, but how can anyone judge with something as difficult and long-term as this? I mean, if it were easy there'd be umpteen lawsuits going through the courts without the necessity for government needing to take a direct hand. But I've never heard of a single one in any country.

It would be difficult to regulate, I'd think. As they say:
    [quote]

It follows growing evidence that diets may actually be adding to the obesity crisis as overweight people lose weight rapidly while following programs but quickly put it back on after they stop.</blockquote>

Exactly. That is a problem. But how would the Taskforce - good luck paying for that Aussie taxpayers - determine which diet was proving ineffective after people stopped following it? How do they prove the problem wasn&#39;t what anyone ate after stopping the diet? (As, actually, it probably was, as well.) If the Taskforce try to close someone down, then they&#39;ll end up in Court and have to prove all this before a judge, because Australia isn&#39;t a dictatorship but a country under the rule of law. How could the Taskforce prove people on a particular diet hadn&#39;t "cheated"?

It would really be better if governments in the West stopped issuing stupid and counter-productive nutritional advice themselves. Look at the U.S. with that daft "pyramid" for example. Governments cleaning their own house would be a good start, and would have a positive effect on the populace - because (perhaps unfortunately) they tend to believe what government agencies tell them.