Thread: Spaghetti Squash recipe page

Redflame is offline Senior Member

Spaghetti Squash recipe

Shop Now
    This time of year there are tons of Spaghetti squash in the fruit stands. They last a long time, and are a great price right now.

Last night my 14 yr old daughter made a great dish.
    1. Microwave whole squash, poke a couple holes first, this eliviates cutting the darn thing in half and cutting off a limb
    2. Microwave until the squash is soft, usually about 10-15 mins, we do this in the afternoon so it can cool off before you handle it
    3. Start the pan (cast iron for us) with 5-6 slices of peppered bacon cut in chunks.
    4. While that gets going chop up an onion and a couple cloves of garlic, toss them into the bacon pan.
    5. While that is cooking (YES, I am a grokette, so I multi-task) cut the squash in half, spoon out the seeds, and then with a fork pull out all the squash threads.
    6. When the onion is translucent add the squash, we did not take out any bacon grease, it would depend on how much you have.
    7. Stir that around and cook it until it is hot through. My daughter cooked it longer, which gave a mushier texture--and actually I think I liked that too.
    8. Add salt and pepper if you want, we use the pepper bacon so just have to add a little.
    9. You can add cheddar, or parm, or feta (make sure you dont salt it if you are adding feta)

We made one squash and next time will have to do two! would be great with an addition of shredded sage leaves too.
    I dont care for spaghetti squash used to replace pasta--it's not pasta, cant fool me....just makes me crave the noodle crap. But as a veg it is awesome.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'll agree that spag squash rocks, and I'll agree that it'd suck as a noodle replacement in, say, lo mien or noodle soup. I don't mind it at all as a sub for pasta with red sauce, though. Be careful to poke enough big enough holes in that thing before nuking it though - having seen a potato explode in the microwave a few times, I can't imagine what something that large would do when it hit critical mass would be fun to be around.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I love spaghetti squash. I love bacon. Why- o- why have I never thought to combine them? This in on my menu for this week
    Last edited by jammies; 09-14-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Blank Faceplate..........can you just image, that would do some serious damage if it exploded. The last one I bought was far bigger than a football! By the way, love your picture!

Jammies.......I know, all these years I have just put butter and garlic on it. What was I thinking. Our next venture is butternut squash cubes, and sauteed in bacon grease and onions, topped with crumbled bacon when serving.

Squash has some great nutrients, some a little startchy, but good benefits. But I really dont like them when the are gooped with sugar and crap! Give me the savory, I love sea salt and cracked pepper on sliced acorn and butternut and then roasted with olive oil or coconut oil........That stuff is good, you get the natural sweet, with salt.......and I usually use some red pepper to kick it up too

misathemeb is offline Member
    here's my "spaghetti & meatballs" http://thedelicateplace.wordpress.co...tti-meatballs/

Quote Originally Posted by Redflame View Post
    Blank Faceplate..........can you just image, that would do some serious damage if it exploded. The last one I bought was far bigger than a football! By the way, love your picture!
    Thanks, yeah. Pinkwater is one of my favorite people. I just got a copy of The Yggyssey which I'm dying to read. I'll probably save it until this winter, though.

I absolutely love squash, and the fact that it's a fairly labor intensive thing to prepare keeps me from being concerned about starch overload. One of my favorites is acorn squash with tons of olive oil and garlic and onions and kale. I could eat that as a meal by itself. Pretty sure I probably have.

Made this tonight with 1/3 a squash and 4 slices of bacon, and it was ~*T*A*S*T*Y*~

I added some olive oil since the squash was pretty dry.

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by misathemeb View Post
    That looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to try it
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    My Dad grew us some spaghetti squash in his garden. We tried one on Friday but it was mushy. I don't know what I did wrong.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

almostGrok'd is offline Senior Member
    had me some spag-squash tonight as it happens!!
    Cut about 3 inches off one end, plonked it flesh down in a bowl. Microwaved until slightly soft but with some crunch.
    Slather in garlic/parsley butter!! Even the carboholic 4y.o loved it!! AND she even ate some kale chips too!!