Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olive oil scam page

lcme is offline Senior Member

Olive oil scam

I don't know if other people have heard about this, but apparently a large amount of "extra virgin olive oils" are not as they seem. They have added canola and other oils and are coloured or have only a small amount of olive oil added.

Does anyone have any brands they trust? I just don't think that I would even be able to tell if it was 100% olive oil or not unless someone else told me they were sure.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    I personally think this is a myth. Food companies are legally required to label their products with the ingredients, olive oil is no different. As long as you're reading the labels you should be fine. Some bottles might be labeled "olive oil" on the front and the ingredients list will include other oils (like canola oil). Just avoid those ones. It all comes down to reading the nutrition label!

That being said, I get my olive oil from Crete. I buy it from a local store, but you can buy it on Ebay-->
    http://cgi.ebay.com/3-L-Greek-Abea-S...item2558b52ec1
    delicious!! I used to use it as a dipping sauce (w/balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs) for good crusty bread. I might still do this as a very very rare cheat treat once or twice a year.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 09-14-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: clarity

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    The USDA just revamped the regulations in April.These revised standards will provide a common language for trade and provide consumers more assurance of the quality of olive oil that they purchase.

link: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams....+for+Olive+Oil+

The revised standards include objective criteria for the various grades of olive oil and olive-pomace oil, including definitions for extra virgin olive oil, virgin olive oil, olive oil, refined olive oil, and olive pomace oil.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

ericfoster3 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the heads-up on olive oil! I'll take a closer look from now on...

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    I don't know if other people have heard about this, but apparently a large amount of "extra virgin olive oils" are not as they seem. They have added canola and other oils and are coloured or have only a small amount of olive oil added.

Does anyone have any brands they trust? I just don't think that I would even be able to tell if it was 100% olive oil or not unless someone else told me they were sure.
    With high quality EVOO, there's no way you can't tell the difference. The flavor is so distinct.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    With high quality EVOO, there's no way you can't tell the difference. The flavor is so distinct.
    I'm not at all sure I could tell if a given olive oil was cut with another odorless and flavorless oil. That said, I think this is urban legend as well - lots of "canolive" oil out there, labeled as such, but I don't believe that many companies are secretly sneaking canola or soybean oil into stuff labeled "100% EVOO" as a standard practice.

Annika is offline Senior Member
    The New Yorker had a long exposé about adulterated olive oil in 2007: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...a_fact_mueller
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    I primarily buy Pompeian olive oil, and while I can't be 100% sure that it's pure, the taste is so perfect that I'd find it hard to believe it's not. However, they're one of the companies that was hit with that big class-action lawsuit, so who knows.

Bertolli, Carapelli, and Colavita I'd stay away from, since the oils I've bought from them were really bitter.

One thing to think about, though, is that canola, soybean, corn, etc. are only artificially cheap because they're subsidized in north america. I don't see why an italian company would be importing those oils only to export them again. At worst, they're just adding refined olive oil to the EVOO, which isn't a big deal unless it's rancid.
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 09-14-2010 at 09:16 PM.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Hmmm...that's really what's making me wonder. The stuff that my roommate has in the kitchen is so yellow and unappealing. It just made me remember reading about a supposed issue.

I guess I'll try a local Italian store and see if I can find something nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast