Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sprints on a treadmill? How to go about it?

Hybrid View

sprints on a treadmill? How to go about it?

I would like to start incorporating sprints at the gym and don't really know how to go about it.
    Has anyone got any tips on how to do it?
    Do I just increase the speed on the treadmill and start running as fast as I can?

Thanks in advance!
    M

I've heard that some treadmills can be programmed for sprint intervals. I would think it would be really awkward though. When I do "sprints" indoors, I use the rowing machine or spinning bike. Is there a track (indoor or outdoor) that you could use? I think this would be much more enjoyable and give better results than trying to sprint on a treadmill.

Hi yodiewan!
    Thanks for your reply.
    I need to have a look about the interval program on the treadmill. Good idea about the rowing machine, that might be a good option actually. I am not so keen on spinning bikes though.
    I live in Austria and one thing we unfortunately do not have is public tracks.
    M

What about parks/sidewalks/empty streets/empty fields? Either of those can take a good sprint.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    What about parks/sidewalks/empty streets/empty fields? Either of those can take a good sprint.
    I am not at a point in my life where I feel ready to take myself out on the streets yet. I simply don't feel confident enough. Fields are not an option and there is nowhere empty as such where I live.

The treadmill I use has a “sprint” program and I have used it before, thought I was getting a good workout. WRONG! I played in a softball tournament on Saturday, I haven’t played in a couple years but I am in good shape. (I lift 3 times a week and run varied distances a couple times a week as well as this “sprint” program.) My legs STILL hurt from the quick movements and all out sprints! I guess what I’m getting at is nothing compares to actually going out and doing them. The added effort of propelling your actual body weight really makes a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by marktripp View Post
    The added effort of propelling your actual body weight really makes a difference!
    That being said, a treadmill sprint is better than no sprint at all. I'm sure the ones you use will have a program for it, if not, then just ramp up the speed every so often - ease into it, as its an odd sensation, and you don't want to be in a situation where the treadmill isn't slowing down fast enough.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Oh figured I would add the one I use also raises the elevation, and yes treadmill sprinting is better than none!

I do sprints on the elliptical machine using the Sprint 8 technique:
    2 min warm up at speed 3
    30 second all-out sprint at speed 6
    1.5 minute "active rest" at speed 3
    Repeat sprint/rest intervals 7 more times
    Finish off with 2 min rest, for a total of 20 mins
    Adjust speeds to your fitness level, do fewer intervals if you start feeling faint, etc.
    I vary the incline throughout the session to keep things interesting, and to make sure I hit all leg/butt muscles
    Also, and I think this is crucial for elliptical users especially, don't hold on to the handles!! You will get a much better workout maintaining your balance in a more natural way (and it's more hygienic )

I do sprints on my treadmill. It's old and does not have sprint programs.

I simply warm up 3-5 min, then up the speed to where I am working hard, go for a certain amount of time--sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes 1 min, sometimes 90 seconds, then I lower the speed to a comfortable walk for a certain amount of time (usually 1-2 min) and repeat.

I try to up my working hard speed regularly.