Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacon Question? page

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I have a huge package of center cut bacon( the reg kind) and I would like to use it up before I go out and purchase the uncured kind. I Hope that is ok?

it is good bacon

for finacial reasons I can't just toss it out.

Uncured bacon, does it cook up and taste the same as reg bacon?

thanks xoxo Darlene

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

I say go ahead and use it. Remember Mark's 80/20 rule. You strive for 100% but figure on hitting that mark only 80% of the time (if you are doing well!).

I've found uncured bacon tastes different. Not quite as good but that is probably because I'm so used to the nitrite-laden kind. Need to retrain my taste buds.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Sorry to interfere, but how does uncured bacon compare to regular bacon in terms of price? I am interested I haven't had bacon in such a long time.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

grandma is offline Member

eat it!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

sofiawahaj Guest

Where do you get uncured bacon from????

NaturesReturn Guest

Trader Joes sells Uncured Applewood smoked bacon that is delicious. Its $4.79 for a package. Also, Whole Foods sells some, I think. I think uncured bacon tastes great! And it does cook up the same as regular bacon (IIRC).

Mick Guest

This company&#39;s terminology is very confused and incorrect.

"Curing" meat means treating it in any one of a number of ways to preserve it - including smoking. So I don&#39;t know what they&#39;d would mean by saying the bacon is uncured, specially as they&#39;re selling it as "smoked". It wouldn&#39;t be bacon if it were uncured, anyway: it would be pork. Fresh pig meat is pork.

I guess they may mean it&#39;s nitrate-free. You can get bacon that is cured just with common salt.

maba is offline Senior Member

One of the ingredients of the nitrate-free bacon I got last time was sugar. The farmers market sells really nice bacon made from farm-raised pigs but unfortunately, they have nitrates. It&#39;s so good I was almost tempted to buy them yesterday. I&#39;ve been keeping my eyes open for uncured bacon, but haven&#39;t seen them anywhere. I asked the Amish farmer at the farmer&#39;s market if he could sell me some pork belly. He said he wasn&#39;t sure as it wouldn&#39;t be USDA-approved. When I said I&#39;ll keep it between the two of us, he said he&#39;d try. I&#39;m keeping my fingers crossed.

Elana Guest

I&#39;ve been having the same problem finding uncured bacon. There are a few brands of nitrate/nitrite free bacon that I&#39;ve found at my local market, but they have added sugar. I guess they think that if it&#39;s "evaporated cane juice" it&#39;s supposed to sound better...

maurile is offline Senior Member

Uncured bacon isn&#39;t uncured. It&#39;s cured, but the government makes them say "uncured" on the label if it&#39;s cured with natural nitrates (usually celery juice) instead of artificial nitrates. (For the same reason, these products are not nitrate-free, regardless of what it says on the label.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast