Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardio and IF page 2

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I fast for for 16 to 18 hours or so daily and I throw in a 24 once or twice a week right now and rarely a 36 to 48. I don't have a pattern for the longer ones though. It's working pretty well for me. What I eat is more PB when I eat is more LG and TLS. Most of the kinks that I had to iron out to get where I'm going had more to do with diet than IF. Losing fat when you already have a single digit BF% isn't easy and nobody understands why you're doing it. I've not had a bod pod test done yet, but according to the Navy calcs, I'm down around 6%. I'm nearly at my goal, but I need to shave just a bit more off my lowest abs before I go into bulking mode. I'll also still be trying to keep fat gains down to an absolute minimum even as I gain.
    As I see it though, if you're stalled out for a while then you've probably found the maintenance level for your caloric intake.
    Daemonized, so what are you avoiding or keeping in as you work down that last percent or two? Are you eliminating anything like dairy, nuts, or just watching calories overall? I am getting to that point too, probably not as close as you are, but getting there. I have thought about giving up dairy, not so much because of weight issues, but more because of what I read about it for health reasons.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I still do eat some dairy but I have eliminated nuts almost entirely. Giving up the cheese might help me a ittle, but I seem to be making headway without doing that. The emphasis of my diet right now is on getting protein and I do carb refeeds a couple times a week as well with sweet potatoes and I usually have a dessert once a week as well.
    One of my favorite dinners is a can of wild caught salmon with some pepper jack in it. Canned tuna is big with me as is cottage cheese, beef, some pork, and eggs. I do eat some complex carbs in the form of veggies (mostly spinach or broccoli) I suppose my diet is probably most close to an old school low carb body builder's diet.

I do watch my intake to a certain extent as well, but I'm not trying to lose fast either. I'm trying to strike the delicate balance of losing fat slowly and still lifting to gain muscle. I should probably just chop the intake down lower and back off on working out for a couple weeks, but I don't want to.

I still do eat some dairy but I have eliminated nuts almost entirely. Giving up the cheese might help me a ittle, but I seem to be making headway without doing that. The emphasis of my diet right now is on getting protein and I do carb refeeds a couple times a week as well with sweet potatoes and I usually have a dessert once a week as well.
    One of my favorite dinners is a can of wild caught salmon with some pepper jack in it. Canned tuna is big with me as is cottage cheese, beef, some pork, and eggs. I do eat some complex carbs in the form of veggies (mostly spinach or broccoli) I suppose my diet is probably most close to an old school low carb body builder's diet.
    Are you focusing on getting your lean body weight in grams of protein, and then the rest in fats and low carb? I have been mainly focusing on lower carbs, but not so much on getting in any certain amount of protein. I might consider that at this point, even though I have read from several people that they don't get in any specific protein amount. Maybe it just works for some people not to.

Yeah, I usually never go a day without going at least a little over my the manufactures suggested protein requirements for my size. I keep my carbs pretty low unless I'm re-feeding then I tend to keep my fat lower than I normally would. I also don't go out of my way to get more fat into my diet anymore either.

That may be what I need to do to see if I notice any change. I have been adding in coconut oil here and there, and I probably don't need it. Maybe I should focus on a little more protein, to at least get my bodyweight's worth. I eat more carbs on my workout days, but even then I rarely go over 100g. What are your refeeds like as far as carbs?

I workout five days a week usually and I only have two carb re-feeds. My re-feeds is pretty much baked sweet potatoes or once in a blue moon some white potato. I'm still probably not going much over 100g to 150g except for when I have dessert (usually after Sunday dinner).

When I plan a meal I think, "How am I going to get a bunch of protein?" then "What should I add to it?". Eggs take care of the protein and the fat for example. I won't eat eggs on a carb day. Tuna and cottage cheese are more what I eat on re-feed days.

Steve-in-MN is offline Member
    startbeingfit - I agree with EGY that HIIT in the middle of a fast might not be so good. It might be OK in a fasted state if you break the fast afterwards, but in the middle of the fast might be problematic. I view HIIT as more like weight training than "cardio" as cardio is usually thought of. When you're sprinting like that there's probably going to be some muscle breakdown and rebuilding (part of the cortisol process EGY mentioned). If you don't have nutrition to support that rebuiding phase, your recovery (and muscle-building?) could be impaired and your hormones could result in a net fat storage signal. In grok terms, it's like -- "Ok body, we just chased a wild boar on and off for 8 minutes, but came up empty handed. Better hold onto that fat for a while". It would make more sense to me to do HIIT before, during, or after your lifting sessions. Some crossfit WODs do similar combinations - like 3-3-3-3-3 deadlifts, then a 10-12 minute high-intensity metcon with pull ups, burpees, or whatever. Then on your 24-hour fast days, do low level cardio for your noon sessions. In theory you're already running on stored bodyfat by then; if you go out for a brisk walk or other activity that keeps you in the fat burning mode you're just upping the amount of fat being burned.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I plan a meal I think, "How am I going to get a bunch of protein?" then "What should I add to it?". Eggs take care of the protein and the fat for example. I won't eat eggs on a carb day. Tuna and cottage cheese are more what I eat on re-feed days.
    Thanks for the info. Sorry for all the questions. Sounds like we are pretty close as far as diets, except yours is a little more protein and the carb refeeds. I might try moving toward that to see how I do.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast