Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily walk without glasses page

dpcjsr is offline Junior Member

Daily walk without glasses

Primal Fuel
    Different approaches work for differnt people but this one has been good for me. By walking without wearing my glasses I feel that I am improving my eye strength. I am "fortunate" to have only a mild degrading of my sight so I can safely walk without glasses. If you wear glasses and feel like you can walk without them then try it. The results have been very good for me.

Litttle things...

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    I wish, I WISH I could safely do this, but as shot as my eyesight is, there's really no way. Without my glasses, All I see is blobs and blurs starting about 3 feet from my eyes. I CANNOT read without my glasses, I am that nearsighted. I do go without my glasses while getting ready in the morning, because I know my house well enough and I keep my closet so organized it's freaky, but to do it outside would be suicide.
    FWIW, I'm -1.25 diopter in the right eye and -4.75 with mild astigmatism in the left eye. Really funny because I'm definitively left handed.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Wow, you have good vision, niaiad!

I was just griping to dh yesterday about the fact that so many of our modern maladies can be corrected by reversing the poor diets that caused them - but not eyesight, apparently. My research seems to say that myopia is a combination of near work, insufficient sunlight, excess processed carbohydrates (too much bread-y stuff), and a genetic susceptibility to that form of degeneration given the above factors. But I haven't seen anything that gives any hope of reversing the trend. I haven't bothered to try anything myself b/c unless I know it works, it's not worth it - it would take years to see results that were noticeable with my double -6's and 1.5 astigmatisms.

I've seen people say that eye exercises can help mild myopia become unnoticeable, but never a success story for strong myopia. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible, but just haven't seen anything. at. all. as far as success stories to be inspired by.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, sounds fun, but I'm -6.5 in both eyes, and I think I might need a stronger rx this year. I might still try it (with my glasses handy)!

JWheelz is offline Member
    I found a book a few years ago called "Take off your glasses and See" or something similar written by an ophthamologist who found through gradual every day exercises without glasses he was able to correct his vision. He reccomended walking without glasses, looking at the sun through closed lids, eye chart exercises and other things. It was interesting. I never followed his advice regularly enough to make tons of progress, but going without glasses on a walk really does help it. I see better at the end of the walk than at the beginning.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. I have moderate myopia (-3.00 in both eyes). But don't forget the benefit of myopia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myopia#Benefits
    This is why I don't plan on having laser correction surgery. (for those too busy to click the link, myopia can make reading glasses unnecessary after the onset of presbyopia).

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    Oddly, I was just griping about how eliminating grains has cured everything but my eyesight too. Another -5.5/-6.0-er over here with no improvement since going primal. It hasn't gotten worse, so I suppose that's good...

Quote Originally Posted by JWheelz View Post
    I found a book a few years ago called "Take off your glasses and See" or something similar written by an ophthamologist who found through gradual every day exercises without glasses he was able to correct his vision. He reccomended walking without glasses, looking at the sun through closed lids, eye chart exercises and other things. It was interesting. I never followed his advice regularly enough to make tons of progress, but going without glasses on a walk really does help it. I see better at the end of the walk than at the beginning.
    See, that's totally the kind of thing I believe *should* be able to help - but I need to see success from someone with severe myopia before trying, b/c going from 20/800 to 20/725 is just not going to be worth any effort, kwim?

I strongly suspect that presbyopia, like myopia, is a product of our modern lifestyle and that by eating well and getting outside lots, it will be a major issue for very few of us in the primal camp. Haven't gone looking for proof, but it just makes sense.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I went from 20/300 OS and 20/225 OD to 20/20 both eyes by using proscribed and guided exercise and relearning to 'see'. However, some time ago when I mentioned that no one seemed to have faith in me.

Poor vision is usually due to a problem with the muscles that control the eyeball. The cause is most often unbalanced strain on the muscles. Using lenses causes more strain and the muscles of the eye become even more unbalanced trying to compensate. Hence, new and stronger glasses next year. If you believe that muscles in arms and legs can be developed and improved, why can't muscles controlling the eye ball be improved?

dpcjsr: There is quite a bit to natural vision improvement but on simple trick is to 'paint' when you look at things. Try to look at things by 'painting them' with your nose. It is a strange thing but the less people move their head when they look at things, the more severe their vision problems. To discover how you 'see', stand in front of a full length mirror and check yourself out from head to feet, and shoulder to shoulder. Did you move only your eyes or did your head sort of make a cross?

JWheelz; The book you describe sounds like it was written by someone familiar with the Bates system of vision improvement.. William H. Bates, M.D.---look him up. Poor guy was causing his peers to lose money so they ostracized him.

It isn't that easy, but you can find ophthalmologists who will work with the Bates system. Just like finding dentists who won't fill you with mercury.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I believe you, Periquin! At least, I want to, truly. I just need to find some success. If there's like a whole board of people who've done it, and including some with severe myopia, I'm there! And I'd love to help my children, the two oldest of whom have already developed some myopia.

(No, I don't believe it's genetic - we all have the same environmental factors. There are countless stories of groups of immigrants moving to areas of more modern style living and developing myopia within a generation, just like so many groups developed caries, narrowed dental arches, depression, and all other "diseases of civilization" within a generation. Intercepted heredity, sure. Poor gene expression, sure.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast