Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Lab Results page 3

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    What are your dietary fat/protein/carb ratios? About 55/30/15
    Were you fasting before the test? Yes.
    What is your 25(OH)D level? I don't know what this is?
    The storage form of Vitamin D. It's really important to know your levels in order to correctly supplement. There are some general supplementation guidelines, but yes, it's important to know. For you it may be even more important as it appears that an optimal 25(OH)D level is protective of cardiac function and protective against vascular disease.

How much D are you taking daily?
    I take about 1.5g
    Can you double check that? You're definitely not taking 1.5 g of D. 1.5 g of D would be 60 million IUs of D.
    LpA? CRP? both incredibly important for you to know.
    I don't know what these are on my test if they were even done. All my other numbers were normal.

1) It'd be worth getting a VAP (to know if you have pattern A or B as someone explained above). If that's comes back pattern A, you'd appear to be fine in spite of higher overall numbers

2) LpA = lipoprotein A.
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/se...=lipoprotein+a
    Recall that Lp(a) is the most aggressive known lipid-related cause of heart disease.

3) cardiac calcium scan (read up at heartscan...William Davis, MD's blog)

4) 25(OH)D level

5) C-Reactive Protein (crp). A marker for inflammation related to CVD.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Cilikat, yes, I will double check the Vitamin D I am taking. Sorry, I take different supplements, and it's hard to keep up which are measured by mg and which are IU's. After thinking about it, it's probably more like 2500 IU's per day. I think each Vitamin D liquid cap is 1000 IU's, and there is about 500 in my calcium pill.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    *slaps johnny in head*

Tell him you will work on it to get him off your back. Then aggressively reduce inflammation and replete all nutrient levels. Your LDL will likely drop without reducing saturated fat. From reading this thread it looks like you already have the good advice and have taken it to heart. Mike Eades makes the point that extra LDL can be as much elevated (relatively) insulin levels as eating saturated fat, the former being of concern, the latter being completely benign. It is either more lipoproteins or larger lipoproteins. But your trigs and HDL look awesome and you have better blood lipids than most. Still, there is some room for improvement.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Yeah, I just don't know what else I can do to reduce inflammation. I keep fairly low carb and fully avoid sugar. My carbs usually run about 50g on a frequent basis, and 100 at the most. I don't cheat, don't eat any grains, consume a little dairy in the form of milk, butter and cream. I eat a lot of veggies such as broccoli and cauliflower. My fruits are mainly wild blueberries and a banana on occasion. So, not sure what to do.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I am genuinely curious as to whether your LDL and total cholesterol even matter if your LDL profile is good. Obviously you don't know your LDL breakdown, but it seems like that is the next step. If that is all good then is there really "room for improvement?"

Cilikat, yes, I will double check the Vitamin D I am taking. Sorry, I take different supplements, and it's hard to keep up which are measured by mg and which are IU's. After thinking about it, it's probably more like 2500 IU's per day. I think each Vitamin D liquid cap is 1000 IU's, and there is about 500 in my calcium pill.
    Cilikat - Ok, I am taking about 2200 IU's per day. Should I increase it? I don't get a lot of sun during the week, but on the weekends I get more when I am outdoors. I usually go shirtless working on the yard and stuff. Maybe about 2-3 hours at the most. Of course, that will be less as winter comes along.

soniayak is offline Member
    Hmmm... I wish I had some good advice. My numbers all went down pretty drastically after PB. But I really don't eat that much saturated fat. I don't avoid it- but I don't put coconut oil on everything, either.

http://nephropal.blogspot.com/ (The EvMed Forum)

Three short months later while following a very low carb and a very high saturated fat and cholesterol health supporting lifestyle my new blood levels were taken via direct VAP test. There was an astounding change. HDL 63 mg/dl, TRIG 63 mg/dl, and LDL 153 mg/dl all large, fluffy, and buoyant. According to a 13 year Canadian follow up study Total LDL is meaningless. The only thing that matters is sdLDL, the small dense sub fraction related to death and cardiovascular events. LARGE LDL DO NOT MATTER, the authors concluded. In fact many experts now believe large buoyant LDL is anti atherogenic and antioxidant. We at EvMed Forum highly agree (see the Quebec Cardiovascular study at the end under citations).

If my doctor doesn't do the VAP, the NMR will be sufficient to determine the sdLDL, right?

If my doctor doesn't do the VAP, the NMR will be sufficient to determine the sdLDL, right?
    NMR? I don't know what it is.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast