Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Lab Results page 2

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Happened to see this on Robb Wolf today.

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholest...fish-oil-raise

He cited the link.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Yeah, I plan on talking to him about that. He was not familiar with the VAP test, but he does know and utilize NMR's.
    I'm really interested to see how that turns out. In terms of my minimal understanding I think that your numbers are great as long as your TGs stay low and your LDL profile is mainly "light and fluffy"

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I hope so. I don't plan on changing how I am eating, nor do I plan on getting on Statins. I know my doctors are recommending what the medical standard requires them to, so I don't blame them. I visit my primary care doctor and my cardiologist every year, plus my cardiologist performs an EKG and echo each year. With all of that, if I was developing coronary heart disease, I think we will pick up early enough on it for me to make adjustments if necessary. In fact, I just had a stress echo done last week which she said looked excellent. My BP is 107/68 on a consistent basis and I am as lean as I have ever been. I just can't believe that these numbers mean I am unhealthy.

I still wish I knew what the other PB'ers were doing that allow them perfect cholesterol numbers on this diet. Maybe it's just how I am.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    Happened to see this on Robb Wolf today.

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholest...fish-oil-raise

He cited the link.
    That is interesting. However, in my case my LDL doubled after six weeks on PB, and more than doubled since then.

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Just figure out the ratios here:
    Total/HDL ____ (optimal is ≤3...average is 4.5)
    HDL/Total ____ (optimal ≥ .24, under .24 is low, less than .1 is high risk)
    Trig/HDL ____ (optimal is ≤2)
    LDL/HDL ____ (optimal is ≤ 4.3)
    HDL/LDL ____ (optimal is ≥ .4)
    The reciprocal functions are a little bit redundant, but I calculated all of his numbers.

Date......07/09 04/10 08/10
    Total/HDL 2.45 3.34 3.74 (optimal is ≤3...average is 4.5)
    HDL/Total 0.41 0.30 0.27 (optimal ≥ .24, under .24 is low, less than .1 is high risk)
    Trig/HDL 0.76 0.72 0.75 (optimal is ≤2)
    LDL/HDL 1.31 2.22 2.59 (optimal is ≤ 4.3)
    HDL/LDL 0.77 0.45 0.39 (optimal is ≥ .4)

All of the numbers that are creeping towards "bad" are because of the increase in LDL (and associated total chol increase).

So my question is: If his LDL is all or mostly the "good" kind then do these ratios still matter?
    Last edited by lcme; 09-14-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I still wish I knew what the other PB'ers were doing that allow them perfect cholesterol numbers on this diet. Maybe it's just how I am.
    I have definitely seen some that are not healthy by CW standards, but then again, some that are. I wouldn't really worry about it. You have to remember that cholesterol is the meter stick of heart disease in people who eat CW foods. Their inflammation, bad LDL and ability to heal endothelium is the main problem, not the cholesterol itself.

That banana guy might even have great readings, but we all know that means nothing for his future health. :P

Thanks Icme. Nice breakdown of the ratios. I am anxious to see what my doctors says about all of this.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Mention of the about.com thyroid page amde me wonder if they have ever checked your thyroid function. It is not as common in men, but can happen and an out of whack thyroid will lead to high cholesterol. Just a thought.

Xfitter is offline Member
    I'm headed to the Cooper Institute Friday for a day long check up (blood panels, bone density, fat, lean muscle mass, basal MR, etc) I'm curious to see what 2 weeks of primal will do. I'll let you guys know what my HDL, LDL, cholesterol look like.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, please let us know. I hope you have positive results. However, it might be too soon to have all that done if you radically changed your eating over the last two weeks.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast