Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: My Lab Results page 12

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by codeguy View Post
    I don't think people on these boards should be solitiing medical advice when it comes to things like choesterol--you can't just dismiss the numbers as "outdated thinking of conventional wisdom". The truth of the matter is that there are many people who will develop severe hypercholestorsemia on these high saturated fat "Paleo" type diets--its not a one-size-fits-all solution for everone. From a numbers perpective, john_e_turn_ii's cholesterol was near was most doctors consider perfect before he started this diet. His cholesterol is now elevated to the level most doctors consider dangerous. Yes, I have read the books (The Cholesterol Myth and others) that would suggest otherwise, but there is tons of research from non-biased organziations (like the World Health Organization) that indicate that these elevated cholesterol levels are indeed dangerous.
    Codeguy, thanks for the comments and concern. However, my doctor was willing to test my elevated LDL to determine if it was the small dense or larger fluffy, which determined it was the safe larger fluffy kind. He by no means says my cholesterol numbers are "dangerous" by any standard. However, as a medical doctor, he is required to warn me of the risks of my elevated level, and that the standard currently is to recommend statins. However, he knows that I will not take them, and understands why. Because I have not other risk factors whatsoever, he considers my lab results and overall health to be excellent.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I thought I would keep this running. It's almost 3 years now since I started PB/paleo. Below are my December 2012 labs, which look pretty good, at least based on CW criteria. Total cholesterol improved, but is still a little hight based on medical standards. Everything else is considered normal. My doctor said he is not concerned about my total cholesterol since my "good" cholesterol is so high.

One thing that I changed in the last several months before this test was switching to a Leangains style diet. Not so much the IF part, since I have done that for a long time, but more the higher carb/low fat on training days and low carb/higher fat on non-training days. Overall, I dropped the fat considerably compared to how I was eating previously.

Chol/HDLC Ratio 2.4 (calc) Normal < OR = 5.0
    Cholesterol, Total 230 mg/dL Abnormal 125-200
    HDL Cholesterol 94 mg/dL Normal > OR = 40
    LDL-Cholesterol 125 mg/dL (calc) Normal <130
    Triglycerides 53 mg/dL Normal <150

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112