Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perimenopause.....This is it page

cillakat is offline Senior Member

Perimenopause.....This is it

*shakes head*

Of course this was coming, right? I turned 40 in March. My mom was done with periods, iirc, by 43

•periods starting 2-3 days early and up to 5 days late for the last five months - my periods have been 28/29 days *every month*, except while pregnant or breastfeeding for 27 years.

•spotting before starting, or at the end - atypical for me

•frequent nausea but especially premenstrually (this was actually the big tip off). On Sunday, I actually threw up. I feel like I could right now.

•dizziness (on day three of significant dizziness....I can function as long as I don't look down)

•ovulated twice this past month....and looking back at my notes, I think I might have in June as well

•hot flashes? I think I actually had two hot flashes yesterday. having said that, I might have been sick....my throat was sore too.

I was reading another menopause thread, hoping to be inspired but right now, I am really bummed.

I love my estrogen and all that it does for me. There's not a shred of doubt in my mind that I'll do bioidentical hormone replacement. HGH would be on the roster too if I could afford it, but I can't. lol

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

HBarrett is offline Member
    Happily, I'm old enough to be experiencing "postmenopausal zest," as Margaret Mead wrote . Do not despair, Cillikat, my estrogen remained high years into perimenopause. What caused the symptoms was low progesterone, or estrogen dominance. Bioidenticals will help.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I love my estrogen too! After going primal I felt so much better, like I was 10years younger. I was already slim, but lost 3-4 lbs when I switched to primal. That fat loss was enough to throw me into full bore menopause within a couple months. I went from regular cycles to none with raging hot flashes keeping me up at nights and disturbing me during the day. I also lost all energy, felt suddenly depressed for no reason, and desperately wanted my feelings of primal zestiness back! I went to my doctor and my FSH tested way high in the "definite menopause" range. She started me on estradiol patches and I feel so very much better.

I did some research and apparently it seems to be better to start estrogen replacement DURING the onset of menopause with the goal of then gradually tapering it off over a period of years, allowing your body to adjust to very gradual changes as you head into post menopause. It is the sudden change in hormone levels that causes the most severe symptoms. As I read somewhere, the female body and brain functioned beautifully with low estrogen levels during childhood. During the sudden surge of hormones at puberty, girls often have physical and emotional distress until the brain and body adjust. Menopause is reverse puberty. Our bodies will eventually adjust and function just fine on lower levels, but we can even out the bumpy ride with bioidenticals.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Good thread! I'm pretty sure I'm in the beginnings of this as well. I'm 42 (for a couple more months), and have been having wierd period stuff for about 2 years. Spotting before and after, shorter cycle sometimes, longer sometimes, definitely had a couple of hot flashes a while back, and now that you remind me I had a couple of times when I got SUPER nauseous for no reason, then it passed... and I was most definitely not sick. My thyroid and adrenals being out contributes I'm sure, but there you have it. Guess I REALLY have to start researching the bioidenticals for future reference!

:r I could be lazy and wait for cilla to do all the work for me.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm:: Kidding, mostly.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Barb is offline Senior Member
    A good book to start with is "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Christiane Northrup, MD. It is a great reference book for info on bioidenticals, hormone testing, and all the options/pros and cons for HRT. She also advocates lower carb eating, warns that grains (including whole grains) may not be healthy, sun exposure as superior to oral Vit D (although she still cautions not at midday), and lots of info on supplements of all kinds. Highly recommend it. Most of what she says is in sync with primal living while not outright rejecting hormones or other western med treatments as beyond the pale.

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    I had all that when I hit 40 also (except the nausea bit). I asked the nurse questions when I got my "annual" & she said read books at the library. WTF? (I never went back there) It's like we don't matter after we're done worrying about reproduction? Anyway, I skimmed through some stuff in the bookstore & decided to try progesterone. I got one with all natural stuff called "FemCreme". In 3 weeks I was right as rain. Got "regular" again, mood swings dissappeared. I have recommended this stuff to several women of various ages for various reasons & they all had positive results.
    Now I'm 50 & I believe my ovaries are in their "death throws" so anything goes these days. I think I need to go back on the stuff myself

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I probably do need to start at least some natural progesterone cream. That's probably part and parcel of the nausea.

I feel like I'm going to puke. All the time.

(and I'm not pregnant)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Barb, I'll look that book up. I've seen a few, but you know how it is, you get into some and they recommend all the crap you're not into (like whole grains). It's good to hear that Christine Northrup seems to be in line with where I'm at! Recommendations are the best!!

I did try progesterone pills... but they didn't seem to do a whole lot. I did them for two months... and then stopped. I don't know, maybe I just didn't give them a chance... I'll have to think about that again... I still have the prescription so could jump back on there after this next period...

C, what a bummer... ginger tea! Nausea sucks...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Cillakat.... thanks so much for starting this thread (though I'm sorry you're not feeling 100% -- sending positive healing vibes your way).

Definitely at this stage myself (early, late, not at all, early, not at all, not at all.... argh!). My biggest fear is that my hormones are going to get stuck at a crappy combo, and I'll spend the rest of my life as a grumpy hag! But the idea of reverse puberty and having it all be OK in the end is very reassuring -- this is where I will direct my mental energy.

Thanks to the rest of you for sharing ideas and successes!

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Kat - I have a number of patients who do well with 5-HTP supplementation (50 -100 mg daily) for some of the perimenopausal symptoms, especially irritability, insomnia, and mood swings.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast