Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to cook steak? page

maba is offline Senior Member

I got my first ever steak today from the farmer's market - a Porterhouse steak. I've never eaten one before, let alone cook it. I know I can google but I thought I'll ask all of you, how do I cook steak?

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

If I don't have a grill, my preferred method is broiling at 450-500F. Five minutes on one side (for average thickness), flip and broil another five, call it good!

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Hey maba. I had a horrible time learning how to cook steak (still a work in progress). What seems to work is slow cooking or if bbq'ing, lower heat and longer. That way it won't come out like a piece of old shoe leather. Porterhouse is a good one. We bbq'ed that at my brother's house last week and it was delish. He did low heat and left it just barely pink.

BigBeck89 Guest

heat up some cast iron, sear for 2 minutes on one side, flip, repeat, done...nice and rare

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Gotta disagree, Diabetes. While everyone likes their steak done differently, well done is not the way to go. I, too, still have to work too hard to get a nice medium-rare, but here is the general ticket:

You want your coals hot, and ideally, a foot or more below the grill. This prevents flareups that cause more flareups, a positive feedback loop. Cook until the juice starts to come out of the top. Make sure the bottom isn't charring. Turn over when that juice shows.

I confess I still can't do the "doneness" test by pushing on the meat, I still have to make a slit to look.

A good alternative if you have a good hood fan over your stove is an old fashioned cast iron ribbed pan. Mine's square and it makes as good a steak as all the work firing up the grill. Add a bit of smoke sauce if you wish while cooking.

Salt, pepper, yum, yum. Cow, pure and simple.

Curiousfarmer Guest

I use a George Foreman grill for most of the meat I cook. 5-6 minutes leaves a typical steak a little pink.

When I cook over fire, a tip I learned is to cook over coals, never flame.

Always rest your meat after cooking, before cutting and eating. This will help seal in the juices. Anywhere from 3-5 minutes for a burger to 15-20 minutes for a large roast.

The best meat book I have is "The River Cottage Meat Book," by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Here is his website: http://www.rivercottage.net/

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

George Foreman grill is SO easy.

Is it possible to saute it in a pan, like chicken? How do you know when it's done?

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Steve Raichlen is the man! Go to barbecuebible.com and you'll see all of his "tips and techniques" right on the website! His show on public television is awesome too (yes I'm a PBS nerd).

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Tarlach is offline Member

Here's some easy to digest info for steak cooking:

http://www.lobels.com/recipe/PerfectSteak.htm

I cook steaks on the BBQ and my wife and I love it so much, we can't even think of experimenting with any other method

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Jess, the reason my pan is good for steaks is that it has raised ribs. That allows juices to drip off and evaporate. W/o them, they boil up under the steak and change the flavors, in my opinion.

Best BBQ site on the web: www.amazingribs.com .

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast