Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anemic! That explains a lot... page

lizch is offline Senior Member

Anemic! That explains a lot...

Shop Now
    Cholesterol fine, triglycerides fine, RBC fine, HCT low normal, HgB/MCV/MCH all low, RDW high.

At the start of the year, I was experiencing worse and worse twitchy legs at night. I *hated* the fact that I seemed to be developing a condition that I only knew about through drug adverts! So that's what initially prompted me to get my lifestyle sorted out--more exercise, less junk. From Jan to July, I lost 12lbs. Switched to primal at the end of July, and lost 13 more, and with significantly less exercise. Twitchy legs are better but not gone entirely, and my pulse rate is high. I suspect I'm less anemic than I was...so my body was awfully wise to seek out a lifestyle that involves eating lots of iron-rich meat!

It was my dermatologist who drew the blood, so he wants me to go to my PCP for follow up. I'm going to wait a couple of months. I've bought some Floradix, and along with the meat (and adding more liver) I'll see where I am then. Don't like going to my PCP because we always get in an argument about mammograms!

Any other recommendations for getting the iron levels up?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    RBC fine, HCT low normal, HgB/MCV/MCH all low, RDW high.
    What was your actual Hgb/HCT ? There's "I have heavy periods and didn't use to eat much meat" mildly low, then there's "Wow something out of the ordinary like chronic GI blood loss is causing her anemia" markedly low.

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Any other recommendations for getting the iron levels up?
    OTC iron supplementation; 65-80 mg once or twice daily as tolerated.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

I suspect it's the heavy periods scenario, though I'm also a little suspicious of the 18 months I was on minocycline.

Here's the CBC:
    WBC 3.7 th/mm3
    RBC 4.91 mil/mm3
    Hgb 11.3 g/db
    Hct 34.8 %
    MCV 71 IU (not sure about the units there, the fax is blurry...the normal range is 81-100)
    MCHC 32.4%
    RDW 20.7%
    Platelet count 276 bil/L

(Triglycerides 48, by the way...doesn't seem like the butter, cream, and bacon are soaking into my bloodstream
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    That's mildly anemic but not horribly anemic. Assuming you have no other unusual symptoms requiring immediate attention (abdominal pain, coughing up blood, vomiting blood, chest pain, shortness of breath, racing heart, blood from rectum or black stool come to mind) you may want to start OTC supplementation of iron and see your physician soon for retesting. Mild anemia can definitely cause restless legs.

I wouldn't dodge the doc just because she/he and you don't agree about mammograms. It is a two way relationship; the anemia problem being addressed shouldn't be contingent on you two agreeing on every medical screening test. If you dread it that much maybe its time for a different doctor.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

I wish I could find a doc I could go see for ONE issue, the issue of my choosing. If I go in to have my iron levels checked, I don't want to discuss my boobs. Similarly, if I go in to discuss my boobs, I don't want them to take my blood pressure (I track it at home--don't need anyone else to do it).

I just think that kind of doctor simply doesn't exist
    Liz.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    There are also different types of anemia. I don't have my facts on hand but you could do some looking into B-12 deficiency. I struggle with restless legs as well and a few months ago started supplementing B-12. It seems to help. When I stopped taking my vits, I definitely noticed the RLS creeping back.

Thanks fyrespryte. The Floradix has 15mcg B12 (250% RDA) in the daily 20ml they recommend (and I think I'll be taking double that, since I'm trying to raise iron levels not just maintain them). How much B12 do you take?
    Liz.

jturk is offline Senior Member
    You probably already know this, but those numbers are consistent with iron deficiency - far and away the most common cause of a microcytic (low MCV) anemia. An anemia from B12 deficiency would result in a macrocytosis (MCV>100). And you're right, heavy menses is the most common culprit in a young woman.

And as an added bonus the restless legs should go away if you decide to start the iron supplements.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    liver is a better source of zinc than iron. but it's still a great thing to add every other week or so.

It'd be interesting to see ferritin as well should you happen to have another blood draw any time soon

My preferred supplement for rapidly repleting iron stores is Hema-Plex by Nature's Plus. It contains Albion Lab's Ferrochel - an amino acid chelate form of iron that is totally non-constipating (in contrast to the ferrous forms, even Slow Fe is notoriously problematic) and all of the other components of RBC formation.

Unlike other iron supplements, Ferrochel's absorption isn't impaired by calcium.

I've seen numbers come up faster with this (and similarly formulated supps) than any other forms. And we're talking about low low numbers in women who've had severe post-partum hemmorhages. Seems to work about twice as fast as most other things we've worked with.

Best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks Katherine. I'm giving Floradix a try first because I work at a freestanding birth center and get employee pricing on it, and it's what the midwives prefer for PPH and anemia in pregnancy. But if that doesn't work in the next 6 weeks or so, I'll switch to your recommendation.

Yes, I'll go to my PCP in about 6 weeks and ask for another blood draw. I'll request the ferritin be added.
    Liz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast