Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Primal Holla! page 5

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

This is pretty much me (except the cat that's playing with the trilobite would be a calico).

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post

This is pretty much me (except the cat that's playing with the trilobite would be a calico).
    Haaha! I love it! Do you have three cats?
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Oxtail was awesome! I Primal-ized this recipe: Jamaican Oxtail Stew

I generally love the New York Times, but when I read Mark Bittman's column I want to pull my hair out. I often feel like he's on the verge of "getting it"...and then he falls right back into his low-fat whole-grain nonsense. Food politics are freaky.
    Yeah... that whole 'vegan until dinner' thing doesn't fly... healthy whole grains, vom. Makes me think of my ex-roommate, a veghead who is WAY into the grains/fiber/carbs, and Mark Bittman. I really like some of his recipes (there's a squash fritatta/omelette that's fantastic, for instance) but ack. Every time I think, yes! this is great! the next bit is WHOLE GRAINSSSSS.
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Quote Originally Posted by sibylsybil View Post
    Haaha! I love it! Do you have three cats?
    Yup! The grey and cream ones in my avatar, plus a calico. They're all super friendly and cuddly, which sometimes leads them to grabbing us with their claws out, and the youngest one is still learning not to bite when she gets excited.

I feel like there's a whole subculture of people out there who have the same reaction to Mark Bittman. I see paleo-esque comments on a lot of his articles, basically saying what we're saying - yup, vegetables and whole fresh foods are good, but don't fear fat and protein. I like some of his recipes too - especially as sides for my meat, hehe. I was totally picturing Mark Bittman as a health food zombie who eats brown rice instead of brains when I read "WHOLE GRAINSSSSS," by the way.

I'm toying with the idea of recording meals and workouts again. I don't like it so much as a means of "staying accountable" (whatever that means), but I do like to be able to look back and have a record of what I'm doing and how it's working. I'm going to give it a try for a few days, and see if I can do it without making myself crazy.

Breakfast: 2 cups coffee with HWC; rainbow chard with garlic, sea salt, and fresh pepper sauteed in coconut oil; 2 Griggstown Italian chicken sausages fried in coconut oil - white wine, parsley, lemon, and garlic flavor. I'm experimenting with non-egg breakfast options. The sausages were awesome, but a bit too salty (and spendy) for every day. $6.50 for four 3-oz sausages? Yikes.

Lunch: water w/lime, roasted sweet potato w/ghee, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla; sardines w/seasoning mix; sauteed asparagus w/coconut oil, GF tamari, garlic, and ginger; and 2 eggs fried in butter. After skipping them for breakfast, I was craving them for lunch.

Dinner: Baked sockeye rubbed with butter, djon mustard, lemon juice, and seasoning mix and topped with grated parmesan (it does get crunchy in the oven - score!); caramelized red onions and rainbow chard with coconut oil, curry powder, and sea salt. I was still hungry, so I had two more fried eggs and 2 slices of raw gouda. I don't love the flavor of this gouda as much as the aged goat gouda I'd been getting, but it's grass-fed and organic which is a plus.

Mysterious sleep eating: I fell asleep, but then the hubs came home with our Easter basket from his mom and various leftovers from Gramma. He woke me up, and I devoured 1/2 a bag of plantain chips, 1/2 a bag of pork rinds, about a cup of chicken salad, and 3 pieces of melt-y Easter chocolate. Damn.

Activity: Slow 30 minute/not quite 5k run before lunch. I forgot that it typically takes me a couple weeks to make the transition to running in the heat, and I was hurting in the 80 degree weather. Got some good sunshine though, and these new sports bras really keeps things immobilized. The big downside: they give me visible cleavage in some of my tanks, and I prefer not to be a spectacle when I run. Then I did 25 minutes of my body weight circuit mid-afternoon. I love the weekend.
    Last edited by theholla; 04-25-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in ghee with sea salt, 1/4 lb asparagus in butter with Old Bay, 1 cup coffee with half & half

Lunch: BAS! Arugula, grilled balsamic chicken, 1/2 avocado, cashews, cucumber, carrots, and soy-ginger dressing. I ate outside to get some sun on my face, arms, and legs.

Dinner: De-veganized vegan chili - coconut oil, garlic, onion, ground beef, canned fire-roasted tomatoes, jar of cheap salsa, black beans (what of it?), cumin, sri racha, chili powder; 1+ oz cheap sharp cheddar; caramelized red onions and red curly kale with coconut oil, curry powder, and sea salt; the rest of the pork rinds; and 18 oz of some new dark chocolate I got - Dagoba Eclipse (87% cocoa). It is organic/sustainable, has a good flavor and texture, and the bar divides into some very long, thin rectangles, which were surprisingly fun to eat. Unfortunately, it was ridiculously expensive, and I'd just as soon eat Green & Black's, Valhrona, or Trader Joe's 85% bars, which are all significantly less pricy. Also, they don't make me think about this every time I look at the wrapper:

You will go to the Dagobah system. There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me.

Activity: 60+ minutes of walking. It turns out that my boss also had a pathetic run in yesterday's heat. I feel a bit better now.

My arms are still disproportionately fat, but for the first time in my life, I like them anyway. My triceps sticks out even when I'm not flexing. Yay.
    Last edited by theholla; 04-25-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Breakfast: 1/4 lb asparagus in butter with Old Bay, 1 chicken sausage fried in coconut oil, 1 egg fried in the juices thereof, 1 cup coffee with half & half. The hubs was thrilled by his sausage, but bummed when I told him we can't afford them regularly. He's been requesting more breakfast meats for a while now.

Lunch: leftover de-veganized vegan chili (with cheddar) and kale, eaten pathetically at my desk

Pre-run: my mother in law always gives us Lee Sims chocolate for holidays. Their dark chocolate isn't exactly dark, but man, is it luscious. Citrusy notes!

Post-run/Dinner: water w/lime; roasted sweet potato w/ghee, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla; sockeye rubbed with butter, djon mustard, lemon juice, and seasoning mix and topped with grated parmesan; 1/2 a cucumber with dijon mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, and seasoning mix dressing; more chocolate, both Lee Sims and Dagoba (what of it?)

Activity: 60 minutes of walking. 30 minutes of running. It was better without the direct sun, but the high temperature still cramped my style. Also, I think I need running shirts with a higher neckline.

I'm retaining water, but it's ok - according to my calendar, it should be TTOM soon (dun dun DUNNNNNN). That also explains why I'm so hungry. I'm happy to say that I haven't lost my mind yet, so here's hoping this will be an easy one...

Metta is offline Senior Member
    You are a really good cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Metta View Post
    You are a really good cook.
    How do you know if you haven't tasted my cooking?

Just kidding, and thanks - I really like eating tasty food. I've been seriously working on my cooking skills for maybe 7-8 years at this point. Going primal has given me a lot of motivation to keep on learning and improving as I introduce new foods and replace others. There's been a lot of trial and error involved - Mr. Holla could tell you some horror stories about the errors!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345