Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Primal Holla! page 3

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    PHILLY!

i hadn't realized you were there. we are missing it now, a year here in wellington. don't get me wrong, i LOVE wellington, but i was telling DH that i would have loved to have moved *into* philly, rather than out in the burbs as far as we were (but closer to his work and stuff). he never wanted to be IN philly, but he was wary of any city, until we moved here. he loves it here, and still has suburban leanings. but i think it's easier for a man, honestly.

know why? because they tend to go to offices for hours on end, and then want to come to someplace peaceful. but for the women's culture, imo/e, it's really messed up. like, boring. i just couldn't hack it. he's talking about a burb of welly now, and i'm like NO FOR GOD SAKES NO. i need to live in a city, be able to walk to things, not rely on a car or bus or ferry. goodness!

but, now he sees that we could easily live in philly. he's like "it's actually a pretty cool city." for the 12 years we lived in limerick, i was like "lets move to philly. lets move to philly." and he was like "no, i'm scared. it's busy. it's a city. it's yucky. i don't like it. wahhhh!" and now he's like "you know, it was a cool city." jerk. LOL

anyway, looks like primal is going well for you. hope it keeps up.

i'm getting a copper (non-hormonal) IUD soon. we're not quite sure when, but fairly soon. i hope you are ok -- in re fibroids and ibs stuff. good luck with it!

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Hi mummybeelee! Thanks for stopping by, and welcome to the PB! I love "tinkering in the kitchen" too, and actually feel like adding some dietary restrictions has spurred me to be more creative and adventurous.

zoebird! Yes, I love, love, love Philly (though I have to admit a certain amount of Kiwi envy - I hear it's gorgeous, and all that pastured beef has a definite appeal). What brought you from PA to NZ, and where are you from originally?

It's funny...in many ways, I think of myself as a country girl at heart. I grew up in the boondocks, love hiking and growing food and nature and all that, but at this point in my life I couldn't imagine not living in a city. I love the culture, the community, the diversity, the public transit, the walk-ability, and just all the stuff to do. Plus, Mr. Holla grew up in a city and doesn't really "get" the suburban culture - honestly, neither do I. Then again, he's not really the type who always wants to come home to peace and quiet

So, I'm carving out my own little slice of country in the city: this summer, we bought a teeny house and the vacant lot next door. Once it warms up a bit, I'll be putting in some raised beds, beginning to compost, and getting our garden started. We also have a sun porch that I'm setting up for growing herbs and citrus. I can't even express how exciting that is to me after 10 years of city living!

Thanks for the IUD reminder...I've been putting off making my appointment, but should really do that today Good luck with yours!

I've decided to tighten up my diet a bit more, now that I'm finally able to enjoy red meat (it is amazing how much bacon has in common with crack), so I'm shooting to cut down on dairy and nuts, and step up my strength training now that my health seems to have stabilized a bit. Plus, my husband has expressed a desire to start working out again, so I should probably try to be a better role model My alcohol consumption also crept up during December, and while I have cut back significantly, I'm still drinking more than is optimal for me.

Just based on listening to my hunger signals, I seem to be falling into a pattern of IFing through breakfast once or twice a week. I seriously could have never imagined such a thing six months ago. I'm curious to see where my eating patterns will ultimately land as I continue to adapt to an evolutionarily appropriate diet. I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Breakfast: Green beans sauteed in butter with seasonings, 3 sunny side up eggs fried in butter (note to self - using green beans to scoop up egg yolk is faaaar tastier than using toast ever was, so add sunny side up to the egg rotation permanently)

Lunch: BAS! Spring mix with avocado, cashews, grilled portobello, tomatoes, shrimp, and a salad dressing of dubious provenance

Dinner: TBD...may attempt some bacon wrapped scallops though
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

opportunity brought us here. dh wants to work professionally in film, and there are really only a few cities in the world where you can do that. we were able to buy a business and here we are!

I'm obviously not very good at blogging consistently. I'm giving up on writing anything other than my random-ish thoughts on food and Primal living.

Have successfully cut back on alcohol and dairy. Nuts are under control, but I'd still like to cut back further. My weight seems to be dropping, which is nice in a way, but it just means I'm going to have to spring for new clothes again. I haven't done any strength training in a while - first I wasn't feeling so hot, then I sliced open my thumb on a can lid and had to get stitches. I can't figure out how to do any upper body work, so I've kind of lost a lot of motivation. However, the Mr. is working out now, and I'm seeing nice results

Last night I reverse-adapted my dad's easy vegan chili recipe for my new omnivorism (and to use up some stuff I had lying around). OMFG. It was dynamite - my theory is that it had to be extra delicious to be good as vegan chili, and with the adoption of meat, it is now just mind-blowing. Yes, I included some beans. The man has been craving beans, and I honestly love them too. If you want to make the recipe without the beans, I'd recommend doubling the onion and the pepper. Oh yeah. I loooooove my nightshades.

De-Veganized Vegan Chili

Ingredients:
    3 Tbsp bacon grease
    6 cloves minced garlic
    1/2 a yellow onion, chopped
    1 lb ground beef (Philly Cow Share, woot woot!)
    1 can diced tomatoes (I used the no-added-sodium kind)
    1/2 a jar of salsa (Trader Jose's Chipotle Salsa is very, very good)
    1 small can black beans
    1.5 green peppers, chopped
    Sea salt, to taste
    Cumin, to taste
    A lot of chili powder, to taste
    Sriracha, to taste

Procudure
    Heat the grease in a heavy pot over medium-low heat (I used our new cast iron dutch oven - it was amazing!)
    Fry the garlic and onions until they start to caramelize.
    Add the ground beef and saute until it starts to brown.
    Add the can of tomatoes and the salsa, heat until simmering.
    Mix in the beans and green pepper.
    Simmer while covered for 5-10 minutes.
    Add the seasonings and adjust to taste. I recommend using a lot of sriracha and chili powder, and not all that much cumin or salt. I'm not very good about measuring these things.
    Simmer while covered for another 10 minutes.
    Eat way too much of it while watching the Lakers pound the Knicks and drinking rioja out of a jelly jar.

It made a spectacular reappearance as huevos rancheros (minus the tortilla) this morning!
    Last edited by theholla; 02-12-2011 at 11:49 AM.

The weather was up around 45 F, so the hubs and I went for a nice slow jog - did 3.4 city miles in a bit over 35 minutes. We were both pleasantly surprised that we could easily run a fair distance, in spite of not doing anything beyond some short sprints (in my case) and occasional full court basketball (in his case) for the last couple months. I mean, I think we'll both be able to do an easy sub 1 hour urban 10k by April if we start running 2-3 times a week. It's amazing how finally getting our nutrition dialed-in has made everything else so much easier.

I'm really, really excited to cook those flatiron steaks tonight! Can't quite decide what to put in the marinade, but I have some ideas...

cool.

I'm having a super stressful week at work, and today was completely insane. But, when I finally got outside after the big meeting the sun was shining, the weather was balmy, and I had a great excuse to leave early. So, I went for another quick run. My 5k time was a hair over 30 minutes. All in all, I did 3.85 miles in 40 minutes. Not bad.

Now I'm going to shower, eat some meat and vegetables, and drink some whiskey.

The other side of the stress is that I've been super-productive: busting out design projects left and right, making a lot of people happy, getting some good work out of my project managee, and generally staying on top of things. I'm feeling it in my personal life too - all of a sudden I have drive, willpower, and focus. Go figure. I hope I can keep it up.

Oh yeah, and the flatirons were amaaaaazing.

Here's my variation on Zoebird's orange-ginger duck recipe:

Bloody Hell Steaks

Ingredients:
    Juice (and pulp) of two blood oranges
    1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 inch of ginger root, minced
    1 large shallot, minced
    Sea salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
    Steaks for two
    2 tbsp butter
    Coconut oil, to grease the skillet

Procedure
    Combine orange juice and pulp, vinegar, ginger, shallot, salt, and pepper.
    Marinate steaks, and reserve the marinade.
    Heat a big greasy cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
    Sear the steaks (open a door and/or take the batteries out of your smoke detector for this part). I had 4 little steaks, so we did 2 minutes on each side. That left them crispy on the outside and nice and bloody in the middle.
    Place the steaks on a plate with tented foil over them, allowing them to rest for 5 minutes.
    While the steaks are cooking and resting, simmer the marinade in a small sauce pan until it reduces by half. Mix in the butter. Mmm! Blood orange and blood sauce.
    Serve steaks with sauce over them and a big side of greens.

rach is offline Junior Member
    I'm in Philly too, right in center city! I haven't lived here long, I just moved for school in August, but I'm definitely loving the city. Let me know if you need any help with your garden once it gets warmer. I know literally nothing about gardening, but I'd love to help/learn!

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    As a hard-core lurker, I find your posts eminently sensible, so I decided to check out your journal. And good, sweet lord, your food sounds delicious, especially your BAS-es! (how does one pluralize that? ah, well) Carry on with the deliciousness!
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast