Thread: Chickens/hens; What will it require to keep them? page

James17 Guest

Shop Now

I'm thinking about the option of getting my own chickens. We live in the country and have a field about 1 acre in size and a small shed. How do chickens eat? And how many eggs can I expect each week from around 5?

grandma is offline Member

Take a look here: backyardchickens.com

-you can expect slightly less than 1 per day per hen.

-If you can free-range them feeding is nearly free. You may need some feed to entice them back into the hen house.

-predators will get them if you don't watch them. you need to make sure they are back in the "barn" at night.

-depending on where you live you many not be able to buy fewer than 12 chicks at a time. Many locations have laws to avoid them being purchased as cute easter presents and then forgotten.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Even here in upscale (don't look at me!) Sarasota, Florida people are actively pressing for permission to keep a few hens. There have been hearings.

Cool.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

'Chicken underground' emerges in Indiana

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...908180375/1001

maba is offline Senior Member

I have a big back yard and would love to have my own chickens, I'm not sure about doing all that work though. I live in a community where the neighbors start hinting if your grass is slightly high and how it "brings down the value of the neighborhood." It would be fun to see how they'd react if we have chickens running in the backyard.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

maba, before you even start having orange yolked omelette dreams, you need to check with city or county zoning. If you live in a covenant controlled community, ditto.

Many years ago some immigrant neighbors kept sheep at the back of the property. They stank. So I called the zoning people, the rule for my zoning was 100' from any dwelling, not a clear black/white yes/no. It was 103'. And they never offered me any of the lamb.

Marloe Guest

Hi James

You might enjoy this book - The Permaculture Home Garden by Linda Woodrow. It is available on Amazon.

In it is a very neat "chook dome" (chook is Australian slang for chicken) which houses 12 chickens. It is a movable "igloo" shape construction - easy to do - that you can move around your ground every 6 weeks, leaving you a well-composted circular garden in which to plant your organic herbs and vegetables.

You should have no more than 12 chickens per rooster, so the size is just right. It is 3 metres in diameter, made of shade cloth over a frame of electric conduit plastic piping. Don't do what I did and try the flexible black plastic piping. What a disaster, it looked like a collapsing heap of gummi worms!

We are allowed 12 chickens per stand here, and I am thinking of putting one up in the back yard to supply my restaurant with our own free range eggs. The other one is to be built on our little farm in the mountains where we grow organic vegetables. What a treat to have a little land!

Good luck with your chickens and enjoy the eggs!

Marloe