Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetable filling for meat??? page

FairyRae is offline Senior Member

Vegetable filling/stuffing for meat???

I've read some recipes where one can roll up some sort of stuffing/filling into a piece of meat. I'd love to try this, but--

Many of those recipes either call for flour/grains or dairy. We don't do either. Do you all have any veggie-based stuffing recipes (that are also NUT free?) that don't include dairy? Any thoughts? I can do coconut milk, but my ds does not tolerate nuts/seeds or dairy, and of course we're avoiding grains.

Would LOVE your input folks!!! Just trying to widen my cooking range here!!!

ETA: I forgot--it needs to be *egg* free as well. I've got egg sensitivity issues. Thanks again!!
    Last edited by FairyRae; 09-13-2010 at 09:57 AM.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Actually, you could take some raw greens/ squash/ veggie of choice, mix it with a bit of egg and some spices, and use that as stuffing. If you want it a bit thicker, add a touch of coconut flour, not much.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Do you think it would work w/out egg? ARG! I forgot to add that I am egg free (sensitivity issues.)

Man I've got all sorts of things going on over here... Coconut is ok though, at least!

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    We make a steak roulade with no eggs and it works fine. Just had one last week with onions, garlic, spinach, and mushrooms. It was delicious with wine-braised carrots.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Umm... The egg acts as a glue. Maybe use a form of sausage in it's place? It is conceivable to just stuff the veggies (liberally coated in oil and (not necessarily) dusted in coconut oil) into the meat. That may work out almost as well as the egg, because the coconut flour acts like the flour from the recipes and acts as a form of glue.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I think it's easier to make inside out: stuff the meat mixture inside of the veggie, like a zucchini or a red bell pepper. That way you don't have to worry about how well it holds together.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you can make roulade with pretty much anything. the first time i ever had steak roulade it was a mini piece of peppered sirloin wrapped around a small pickle. egg or cheese would certainly add to any vegetables for both flavor and that stuffing consistency, but sauteing up some spinach or kale with other veggies would be terrific, and if you wanted even more stuffing consistency, try some mashed cauliflower or sweet potato.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    My dad just sent me this recipe yesterday:

Beef Rouladen

Of course you'd probably want to sway the vegetable oil for something else... looks yummy.

chameleon is offline Member
    FR, I made beef braciola and just left out any bread crumbs and cheese. The filling was essentially prosciutto, sauteed mushrooms and onions, capers, pine nuts, parsley, SS&P. I did sprinkle in some nutritional yeast before rolling up the meat to give it a bit of a cheesy flavor. I used toothpicks so no need for egg or anything. Long stewing in tomato sauce was essential after browning for the meat to be tender IMO.

chameleon
    (aka Feb2003 on MDC )

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I really really appreciate your input folks!!! I'm so excited to try out some of these ideas!!! YUM!! I've never stuffed *anything* b/4, so this should be fun!!

Hi Feb2003!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast