Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Job that is As Primal as Possible page 2

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    just try to stay out of an office. i hate my office.
    I do NOT want an office job - no way.

Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for, but I would look into "WWOOF"--it's a site that hooks up interested people with Organic farmers all over the world (Hawaaii, Florida, Spain, France, etc.) with people who want to work on their farm. You can browse through the farms and see everything from small family farms to large organic farms, and each farmer has a unique offer to the volunteer who wants to work with them, but they all include lodging and most include meals. The larger farms sometimes require a minimum of several months while others only a couple weeks. Anyway, it might be cool to work with an organic farm for several months in a state you're interested in (like Hawaii or Florida) and see if that experience opens up a job with an organic farm, or it could at leasy allow you to live in the area and job hunt while lodging and food isn't a concern!

Edit: After I mentioned this I went to the website and looked up some farms in Hawaii. One on the main Island wants someone to do manual labor (weeding, pulling vines of coffee plants, hoeing, etc) for 25 hours a week in exchange for room and board. Um, does it get much sweeter than that?
    Wow. I am going to start looking into this right NOW and I this just might be my calling. Doing this for about 6-12 months or longer if I end up loving it may be exactly what I need.

Thank you.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JStrick View Post
    if i was to do something different, more primal, it would be to go be a live in volunteer at the local organic farm called the World Hunger Relief farm. You basically just live on the farm, they provide room and board, and you provide the labor. Also gives you some free time on days you aren't in rotation, but seems like a really legit way to spend a year not running the rat race.
    Another fantastic idea! Similar to WWOOF it sounds like. I will look into it as well. I am really getting somewhere now.

Keep the ideas coming guys! One of you is going to make a GIGANTIC difference in my life. So, who will it be?

Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    This is a great site to checkout - it lists seasonal active jobs from all over the country. Many of them also provide boarding.
    http://www.coolworks.com/
    This also looks like a fantastic site. Looks like I have some "work" to do for a few hours!!

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Wow that WWOF stuff looks pretty cool. I'll be taking a year off next year after I finish my exam of what is equivilant to American college, and have been thinking about working in a foreígn country. I fantasize about homesteading somewhere in the pacific, probably New Zealand or Australia, and this would give me an opportunity to check out the scenery in real life + learn something... Just gotta make sure its not an organic wheat farm

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    I've done woof, good for travelling on the cheap and experience different cultures around the world, don't know if I could stop in one place for more than a few weeks at a time though might be a bit tedious, I did a week at a time at a couple of different places in italy
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    I've done woof, good for travelling on the cheap and experience different cultures around the world, don't know if I could stop in one place for more than a few weeks at a time though might be a bit tedious, I did a week at a time at a couple of different places in italy
    Good to know - you wouldn't do it for more than a week at a time. I continue to think about it and believe it would be a great experience but I just do not know.

I do need a job - I need to make money but I was thinking of just working part-time wherever I am woofing. I was thinking doing it for 3 months or so but maybe thats not such a good idea... not really sure!

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

GrokMendoza is offline Member
    These have all been GREAT suggestions! I moved out to LA about 4 months ago. 3 of those months I moved out on my own away from family. As soon as i moved I got a part time job at Chipotle. For having primal-like food, the work-style was very un-primal. It was a rushed & stressful environment. Sure it was fast paced which could be fun. However, I felt I wasn't taught very well/enough & whenever I'd try to do something right, for example pour sour cream on a burrito. I'd get criticized for taking my time. In all honesty I felt I was on the verge of getting fired if I made one more mistake. On top of all that it still wasn't enough to pay the bills. (I apologize for the small rant.)

However seeing all these possibilities really has me looking at a job that could be better fit for my lifestyle. Music is a constant passion in my life & I have my degree in Recording Arts. But being able to provide & keep myself here is what's most important for me. As long as I'm here opportunities will come to make my passion into a real career.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Probably something like a park ranger, Boy Scouts troop leader, maybe firefighter. There's also logging. Tour guide for national forest/park. Maybe one of those people that leads people up mountains to climb.

I'd just go for something outdoorsy. I think back to firefighter because it requires a lot of raw strength. You have to pass a physical fitness test to even be considered for the job, and of course it feels good to help people.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cook. If I had it to do all over, I'd ditch college and go to culinary school. Start at 22, work your ass off while using the best ingredients available. @35, open your own place and drive yourself batshit (it's very competitive). But I'd be cooking beautiful food and not poisoning anyone for profit.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast