Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stretch marks? page

Saoirse is online now Senior Member

stretch marks?

Shop Now
    k, here's another (mostly) gender-specific question. Sorry guys.

Three pregnancies has left my stomach looking pretty beaten-up. I know that toning my abs (I'm thinking planks and the like) as well as reducing my body fat % is going to make a huge difference. However, what is it going to do for my stretch marks? Am I just stuck with these the rest of my life? Does anyone have experience with stretch marks disappearing? The irony is that when I actually had the body for a bikini, I was too modest to wear one!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Some guys have stretch marks too, thankfully I don't. However, stretch marks are diet related. Cut out sugar, grains and dairy completely and that ought to help.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Men can get stretchmarks too. I unfortunately got my dad's non-elastic skin and both of us have stretchmarks at various places (backs of knees, for example) from growth spurts but they're hardly visible. My worst area are my hips (luckily more or less covered even in a bikini) and while they appeared more gradually as I was growing (versus the stretchmarks one gets from pregnancy - mine were never red) - they do fade over time, but will not completely disappear. Just don't tan too much since the stretchmarks don't tan and if the rest of you gets too dark they'll stick out even more!

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    I still have them, but I've found as I've lost weight, take supplements, use lots of coconut oil, and tone up that they are not as prominent!
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    While stretch marks will fade over time, there is nothing, NOTHING that can be done to treat them short of dermabrasion and possibly deep deep peels like phenol peels.

Dermabrasion: not microdermabrasion but the kind where a dremel is essentially used to sand away your skin to the dermis....blood and tissue flying about the room etc etc. It's pretty brutal and can scar significantly, but if it doesn't scar, it will work.

Phenol peels: no one will do them for stretch marks due to the complete loss of pigmenetation in the skin and other dangerous associated with them.

Afaik, there are not currently any lasers that will effectively treat stretch marks.

Sagging skin can only be dealt with via surgery. Once skin has lost it's elasticity (think saggy face, breasts, stomach, arms) there is *nothing* that can reverse it. Nothing.

There is not a single topical that will treat or prevent stretch marks. However, skin/tissue elasticity and integrity are a direct function of diet.

Sufficient (not excessive) A
    Sufficient (not excessive) zinc
    Sufficient antioxidants from eating dark/bright veggies
    Minimizing easily oxidized PUFA's (but at least get enough 3 to balance the 6 you take in)
    Minimize AGEs - by keeping insulin levels healthfully low
    Keep weight healthfully low

If pregnant, gain slowly and appropriately (no reason to gain more than 25 lbs), optimize diet.

The sucky thing here? While i've had stretch marks on my breasts since 13 or so, I made it through two pregnancies with no stretch marks on my belly. However, the weight I continued to gain after my 2nd pregnancy took it's toll and I developed stretch marks and have damaged the skin to the point that if I ever plan on wearing a bikini again, I'll need to have an abdominoplasty. Feh.

So yeah, no bikini here. I was supermodest and not body confident until well into my 20s. Thankfully, I did have the experience of becoming really comfortable in that regard and at that point did get plenty of bikini time.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Sorry for excluding you guys. My DH is a skinny skinny man, and he still has stretch marks in some places. I just figured that most guys don't care and thus wouldn't have given it much thought.

Cillakat, this is what I've feared. I still have a glimmer of hope that my change of diet will have some beneficial impact on the appearance. But I probably won't ever wear a bikini in public. Which is a shame, because even in my somewhat overweight state, I could still rock a bikini if it wasn't for the stretch marks.

chameleon is offline Member
    OK, I just wanna jump in and say that I have deep stretch marks on my belly from the very end of both of my pregnancies and I still plan to wear a bikini (albeit more publicly once I've toned up the area)! They're a part of my life and represent something awesome that I did (just look at my children!).

I'm working hard to accept/love parts of myself that I can't change and work on/focus what I can change. Honestly, I think I can handle showing some scars while showing off my primal body. There are people out there who might not like it, but so few of them have any room to diss...

I think confidence and fitness are very sexy no matter the package. And when I fail to remember all this, I at least know DH digs me. *wink, wink*

(No one is 'perfect'...they *might* look perfect, but everyone deals with something so make the most of what you've got and try to always love yourself!)

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    cillakat is on point on this one. my wife works in derm (both cosmetic and gen) and that's what she preaches. though I believe there are a couple lasers that can treat stretch marks, though it depends how new/old the stretch marks are. she said for older ones they can try fraxel, though it does not always work. if they are more recent they should be able to treat.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
    OK, I just wanna jump in and say that I have deep stretch marks on my belly from the very end of both of my pregnancies and I still plan to wear a bikini (albeit more publicly once I've toned up the area)! They're a part of my life and represent something awesome that I did (just look at my children!).

I'm working hard to accept/love parts of myself that I can't change and work on/focus what I can change. Honestly, I think I can handle showing some scars while showing off my primal body. There are people out there who might not like it, but so few of them have any room to diss...

I think confidence and fitness are very sexy no matter the package. And when I fail to remember all this, I at least know DH digs me. *wink, wink*

(No one is 'perfect'...they *might* look perfect, but everyone deals with something so make the most of what you've got and try to always love yourself!)
    Wow, I like this. You are a rarity. It would be nice if more people were like this. There is beauty in what might be considered "imperfections". I think we are all to programmed to hide flaws when they are a natural and very common part of life.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Collagen induction therapy (a.k.a microneedling/dermarolling) has been known to help stretch marks to lessen:
    http://www.microneedle.com/main/examples.html

You can get this same brand of dermaroller (as well as single needles for stretch marks) much cheaper here: http://www.owndoc.com/stretchmarks/s...ore-and-after/

Rosehip seed oil is good for scar tissue in general, so it might help a bit.
    For future prevention, Biosil silica (orthosilicic acid) is good to help maintain the collagen structure of the skin (good for hair, nails and connective tissue as well).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast