Thread: Eggs: Quality and Cost page

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member

Eggs: Quality and Cost

Primal Fuel
    I love my Whole Foods organic, pasteurized, local, extra large, brown eggs. I feel good about them; I have a sense that I'm getting more out of them than people who grab a random carton off the Safeway shelves. Am I going getting too picky with my egg standards?

Five or six dollars for twelve eggs gets pricey -very- fast when you use them the way we do. I don't know how to afford this three egg breakfast habit! Has anyone else run into this problem, is there a better way? Can you buy eggs on the cheap from local farm? How about using cartons of egg whites to stretch things like scrambled eggs?

As usual, I'm grateful for any input.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I get local farm eggs for $2 or $2.50 a dozen. Went to a fancy organic farmer's market in another state and they wanted $6 for a dozen pastured eggs -- yeah, I got some, but as a regular thing that price seems kind of insane to me.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    The cheapest I've found them around here is $4/dozen. I don't eat those exclusivley due to the price. I trust that I'm not being ripped off, but still, it seems expensive. Are we just too used to artificially lower food prices, or are eggs that expensive to produce?

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    My problem isn't the price so much, since most local farms sell for about 3-4 bucks per dozen. My problem is where I have to go and when. They are not close to me, and they are only available for sale on weekends and have limited supplies. So, I am still buying from the store. I have been getting Sparboe Farms Cage Free Omega 3 eggs. I know they are probably still not as good as local pastured eggs, but they taste better than any other eggs I have purchased.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Whoa! I've been getting organic pastured eggs for $2.50 - 4.00 at my local farm market. I would suggest looking into buying direct from the farm, if that is an option for you.

@yodiewan - there are huge differences in cost between the different types of egg production, which is compounded when you figure in the differences in economies of scale between local family farms and big agribusiness. So, you are right on both counts - we are used to artificially low food prices (thanks to agricultural and fuel subsidies), and eggs become significantly more expensive to produce as you move away from the factory farm model.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    it's not perfect, but i can get cage-free, organic eggs from my local grocery store (giant eagle) for about 3.50. i personally don't eat eggs every day, so two dozen usually lasts me at least two-three weeks, & i decided that even if i can't do grass-fed beef & a lot of organic produce, i can at least do that.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I can get "Amish country" branded organic etc eggs for $3/doz for mediums in the store, the farmer's market here sells beautiful ones for I think $4 (dark orange yolks!) - Whole Foods prices can get pretty insane pretty quick. I don't really shop there much at all anymore.

I would point out that three eggs / day from a $6 dozen = $1.50 for your breakfast, cheaper than a newspaper or a bus ride. I'm not accusing, but in general there are lots of places people can save money to offset the cost of high quality, local / environmentally friendly foods. Americans spend only about 1/2 as much of their disposable income on food as the rest of the developed world, because we are so accustomed to only valuing food by price.

brittone2 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I previously lived in NC and pastured eggs were about $4 a dozen on average. If you check around, you may find places to buy for less. Ask around at the farmers markets, look for little farms where they might be pastured but they aren't marketing them as such. There was one guy we could buy from for about 2.50 a dozen.

I'm in PA now and we still pay about $4 a dozen but I see signs outside of little farms or whatever along the road for $2 a dozen sometimes. We buy the $4 /dozen eggs as they are in a local place (store is right on the farm) that sells a host of pastured products all in one place (lard, pastured chicken, pork, amazing bacon, grassfed beef, raw milk).