Thread: Schizophrenia and Vitamin D page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Schizophrenia and Vitamin D

Shop Now
    A recent short article published in the Archives of General Psychiatry by McGrath et al. (2010) highlights that abnormal vitamin D status in newborn babies is a predictive factor for developing schizophrenia later in life.
    http://2.ly/cx4r
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much for posting this. Finally, it's getting some press.

Cannell has been writing about it for awhile.
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsl...ophrenia.shtml

With the exception of a few H1N1 paragraphs, the entire newsletter is dedicated to the D/Schizophrenia connection.

Quoting John Cannell, MD of The Vitamin D Council.
    First, they found a 10 (ten) fold variance in the prevalence of schizophrenia in the world, from a high of 28 cases per 1000 in Oxford Bay, Canada, near the Arctic Circle, to a low of 1 per 1000 around the equator, confirming Dr. E.F. Torrey's landmark latitudinal findings published in 1987. Kinney, et al confirmed that latitude and cold climate broadly and strongly determine the prevalence of schizophrenia. The majority of the 49 studies the authors reviewed were completed before the sun scare, which has driven many equatorial mothers out of the sun, so I predict the incidence of schizophrenia around the equator will soon be increasing.
    Maternal vitamin D deficiency possibly "the" cause

Kinney, et al concluded that the Vitamin D hypothesis correctly predicted the associations between prevalence and skin color, fish consumption, infant mortality, latitude and temperature. The Vitamin D effect "overwhelms" the effects of other known risk factors. That is, maternal Vitamin D deficiencyis not just a cause, but is probably "the" cause of schizophrenia.

I love epidemiological studies like this, and I'm sure Professor John McGrath in Australia does as well. It was McGrath who first hypothesized that gestational Vitamin D deficiency causes schizophrenia. I often despair that I have had to wait two years for the world to learn autism is triggered by gestational and early childhood Vitamin D deficiency. John McGrath has had to wait 10 years for his theory to be accepted and will probably still be waiting 10 years from now. McGrath J. Hypothesis: is low prenatal vitamin D a risk-modifying factor for schizophrenia? Schizophr Res. 1999 Dec 21;40(3):173–7.
    Age of onset decreasing

I'd like to add one prediction to McGrath's theory. The Vitamin D theory of schizophrenia predicts that the age of onset of schizophrenia should be getting younger. That is, as more pregnant women listened to dermatologists, their children are not only more likely to develop schizophrenia, but are more likely to develop more severe cases that present at a younger age. That is exactly what appears to be happening. Di Maggio C, Martinez M, Ménard JF, Petit M, Thibaut F. Evidence of a cohort effect for age at onset of schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 2001 Mar;158(3):489–92. Ajdacic-Gross V, Lauber C, Warnke I, Haker H, Murray RM, Rössler W. Changing incidence of psychotic disorders among the young in Zurich. Schizophr Res. 2007 Sep;95(1–3):9–18.
    If you know any pregnant women, make sure they read our recent newsletter about pregnancy and Vitamin D.
    Last edited by cillakat; 09-12-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: formatting

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order