Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Health Diet

Hybrid View

The Perfect Health Diet

Our book, Perfect Health Diet: A Dietary Program for General Good Health and Prevention of Disease, presents the reasoning and scientific evidence behind the Perfect Health Diet, with citations to the biomedical literature backing every point

http://2.ly/cx4j

Seems spot on. I'm interested in their take on fish oil supplementation.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Yeah I just got introduced to them today by The Healthy Skeptic and it all looks great. Tons of great information with.... valid citations. Wahoo! *raccoon dance*

My one beef is that it has yet to be demonstrated that methionine has anywhere near the effect on mTOR in humans as it does in mice. And since humans were primarily meat eaters for a long time it would make sense to have some sort of a smart feedback mechanism AND also to be able to utilize protein to our benefit far exceeding any downsides to increased mTOR from say, 20% energy rather than 10%. I bet that insulin levels and cholesterol levels tie into it as well and so I wouldn't just say 200 calories from protein and that's that. A high fat, low carb low protein diet is either seriously low in nutrients or seriously high in omega 6 so I'm having a hard time calling that "optimal". If all else fails I would just use gelatin which doesn't have methionine and the most nutrient-dense protein sources.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Yeah I just got introduced to them today by The Healthy Skeptic and it all looks great. Tons of great information with.... valid citations. Wahoo! *raccoon dance*

My one beef is that it has yet to be demonstrated that methionine has anywhere near the effect on mTOR in humans as it does in mice. And since humans were primarily meat eaters for a long time it would make sense to have some sort of a smart feedback mechanism AND also to be able to utilize protein to our benefit far exceeding any downsides to increased mTOR from say, 20% energy rather than 10%. I bet that insulin levels and cholesterol levels tie into it as well and so I wouldn't just say 200 calories from protein and that's that. A high fat, low carb low protein diet is either seriously low in nutrients or seriously high in omega 6 so I'm having a hard time calling that "optimal". If all else fails I would just use gelatin which doesn't have methionine and the most nutrient-dense protein sources.
    Gelatin as a protien source? please enlighten me Stabby, I never even thought of this before
    I'm not old, I'm Vintage!

An excerpt from the book, just perfect for emailing to friends and relatives who don't believe that grain is poison . . .

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...diet-solution/

Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post
    An excerpt from the book, just perfect for emailing to friends and relatives who don't believe that grain is poison . . .

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...diet-solution/
    That is from Robb Wolf's new _Paleo Diet Solution_ (which I am LOVING btw), but not from the Perfect Health Diet, which is what this thread is about. Just wanted to clarify

Quote Originally Posted by 979roadrunner View Post
    Gelatin as a protien source? please enlighten me Stabby, I never even thought of this before
    I think he means as a fat source. Not sure though...

Thanks for sharing!!

Quote Originally Posted by SerialSinner View Post
    http://2.ly/cx4j

Seems spot on. I'm interested in their take on fish oil supplementation.
    No fish oil supplementation. Fatty fish instead.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Is that the guy who thinks that all chronic disease is due to viral infection?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisous View Post
    Is that the guy who thinks that all chronic disease is due to viral infection?
    I don't think so but can't be certain.

Here is the Healthy Skeptic on Perfect Health. Helpful review.

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/my-new-...ion-and-health

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order