Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Health Diet page 4

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bump! http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=891

The book is for sale now at amazon and B&N, and if any of you read it I'd love to hear your thoughts. It very much seems similar to my ds and dh's diets (esp now that dh is totally gluten free again--woo hoo!) which has me quite interested in reading it. My guys are both quite primal with the addition of white rice and potatoes...

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I think it's worth the read...

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I've been following their recommendations for carbs for a few weeks now. I've upped the sweet potatoes and potatoes, and went out for sushi twice. not sure I want to make rice a staple, but once in a while I'm sure it's fine.

keep in mind that their recommendations for carbs are an upper limit rather than a requirement.

K

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Bump! http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=891

The book is for sale now at amazon and B&N, and if any of you read it I'd love to hear your thoughts. It very much seems similar to my ds and dh's diets (esp now that dh is totally gluten free again--woo hoo!) which has me quite interested in reading it. My guys are both quite primal with the addition of white rice and potatoes...
    Awesome. I've been reading the perfect health diet site and am going to order the book right now! I like everything these people have to say and the diet is exactly what I've naturally found to be best for me through trial and error like including starchy vegetables and limiting protein/lean meat more than I was before. I feel much better eating this way.

I've been eating about 100-130 g a day. So, nothing ridiculous. But I believe its probably good to consume less protein for longevity purposes, and carbs are protein sparing. Also, with more plant matter I'm hitting all my nutrient recommendations, which i usually couldn't when I was trying to keep carbs low.
    Most hunter gatherers had starchy roots and tubers too, I believe. I'm not going for reenactment here, but with amylase, it seems we have adapted to a moderate amount of carbs. Moderate in paleo terms, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by grokka View Post
    . Also, with more plant matter I'm hitting all my nutrient recommendations, which i usually couldn't when I was trying to keep carbs low.
    It always suprises me when folks say this. i can eat 10 servings of veggies and stay at 50-75g carbs.

Coolio! My (30th!) bday is tomorrow and I will be getting some spending $ soon--this may need to go on my list!

Cilla and others who have read it, what is their stance on nuts? I've been leaning furthe and further from nuts as an optimal food choice (have been using them in strict moderation--doing brazil nuts for selenium but not eating any other nuts daily) b/c of the high omega 6 content and recent info I've read on them having *higher* levels of phytic acid than GRAINS or LEGUMES! (For those interested, a couple links on phytic acid in nuts and seeds: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...d-coconut.html http://www.westonaprice.org/food-fea...ytic-acid.html ) Just interested in their take on them. (They are, IMO, in no way necessary for health, but just wondering about them as so many paleo/primal folks focus on using them as a sub for grains in baked goods, etc...)

Thanks again folks!

They recommend brazil nuts for selenium, but no others for regular consumption. Except maybe macadamias.
    And yes, at 50-75 g I definitely could've gotten my nutrients, but I was trying to stay under 50. I'm still tinkering with my diet as I learn more.
    Days I fast though, I barely get any carbs. If I notice any blood sugar problems or if I'm not able to fast on this higher carb intake, I'll definitely reduce it again.

Quote Originally Posted by grokka View Post
    They recommend brazil nuts for selenium, but no others for regular consumption. Except maybe macadamias.
    Thanks for the info!!

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast