Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Health Diet page 32

Siren is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    If you want to gain weight, then I can think of no better way than to drink your calories. In a primal sense, this means LOTS of cream, and having fried food swimming in lard. (Eat it hot, since cold lard is the suck)
    I've been considering protein shakes, but I'm having a hard time finding one that doesn't have a lot of crap in it, especially soy lecithin (I think I may be sensitive to soy now). The ones I was drinking a year ago when this all started, Orgain, have changed their formula and now taste nasty. I also think I may be sensitive to chocolate ='( Any recommendations for protein shakes (other than Mark's; I can't afford it, even the 15-serving option)? Thanks =)
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -Virginia Woolf

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Why do you want a protein shake to gain weight? All you need is calories for that, and both carbs and fat are better sources....

There's an upper limit to how much protein you can process, and I'd rather get my protein in meat form than liquid...
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Why do you want a protein shake to gain weight? All you need is calories for that, and both carbs and fat are better sources....

There's an upper limit to how much protein you can process, and I'd rather get my protein in meat form than liquid...
    You make a valid point, but I don't *just* want to gain body fat; I'd like to get some of my muscle mass back as well. I figure I've lost roughly 25% of my muscle, maybe more, and I want to get some (if not all) of it back. Also, my sensitive insides seem to have a hard time digesting meat of any kind except fish, so I have to be careful about how much I eat in one sitting. Getting my protein in liquid form isn't ideal, granted, but it's easier on my body. A neat "trick" I learned last year is that when you consume mostly liquids, you never really get full, so you can eat more throughout the day. Having a protein shake between meals puts that many more calories and nutrients in me without filling up my stomach. Sneaky, yeah, less than ideal, sure. But does it work? Totally.
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -Virginia Woolf

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I would still stick to eating 'normal' protein sources (i.e. eggs, meat, fish) and if you need more total calories, add more fat.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

I would still stick to eating 'normal' protein sources (i.e. eggs, meat, fish) and if you need more total calories, add more fat.
    I'm actually not eating eggs right now, but I'll be bringing them back gradually (I haven't had a real egg in months). I'm also working on adding more fat, especially coconut oil, but again, it's gradual. I don't want to assault my body all at once...

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Finished the book, some things i liked some i didnt, it was weird how some conclusions were reached, and it got kinda repetitive. I think best thing to do is take the most common sense things from the book and definitley apply those. I think i mite need to read it again though, to get an even better understanding and pick up perhaps more flaws?

Anyone agree with my summary?

Also can anyone recommend any other books i can read, similiar to phd, or something just in general interesting regarding health, primal lifestyle and such..

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I was given this book for XMAS (after my mother read it) and I read it within 2 hours. Seriously amazing book. Perfect

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I haven't read the book, just browsed the site. Adding back in starches (potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice) made a HUGE difference in constipation I'd been suffering from for 8 months. Suddenly, I could go regularly, though I still need a strong probiotic supplement.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

patski is offline Senior Member
    I skimmed through PHD book a few weeks back and it's quite good. I'll have to pick up a copy soon.

Starch is AWESOME, right Tasha?!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

rockrunner Guest
    I have the PHD book...its pretty good, basically the same as the higher carb side of Mark's Primal Blueprint.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast